Sunday, August 4, 2019

One or two more rants - then i'm done



Well, I crammed a couple of rants into the last edition, and since then I have a couple more while I’m in that mood/frame of mind.   Then we can move on to some happier stuff.

Another Rant/Comment
I was working in the kitchen the other day, and had left the TV on in the other room, waiting for the evening news to come on, I believe it was on NBC.  Of course things went long, and a new program came on after the news.   I believe it was called “Access Hollywood”, featuring a couple of hosts who acted like they were either high or on laughing gas.  An inane smile never left their faces as they wallowed in salacious stuff about glitterati who seemed so full of themselves.  I suppose people watch this stuff, and probably subscribe to People magazine. Yes; I know there’s a “mute” button on the remote as well as an on/off command, but it was there and I was here…

This inanity was followed by something called “the Wall” which is too despicable to comment on.

Shakin' and Bakin"
And then there’s a show we are sometimes driven to watch waiting for a BritCom or Drama (Midsomer Murders, Vera, The Heart Guy, Shetland, etc.,) is “The Great British Baking Show” (as it’s known in USA).  Another one of those chef competitions but not (quite) as obnoxious as some of it American brethren.  Contestants are given “challenges” like “you need to make a Frangipane tart!” It has its moments mostly because of the contestants.  Okay, it is British/England, but the “judges” are extremely annoying and probably English to the core. 

The sort of “emcee” is Sue Perkins, who apparently has no food background, and her job is to occasionally shout: “okay bakers there are 30 minutes left” followed by quick shots of the contestants looking panic stricken.  Another “judge” is a bona fide Mary Berry who is a food writer, and seems to have compassion for the contestants mostly praising their work with usually some good suggestions.   Unlike Paul Hollywood a supposedly “celebrity” chef who never met a dish he couldn’t rip.  “this crust is soggy; could have been baked more; isn’t very attractive is it?” and so forth.  Officious bas***d.  many contestants are reduced to tears.

Gaaack dept.
Was going to quit (rants)  And here, but there is an article in the Post today (Sunday) that I can’t help but pass along.  Written by Laura Reiley (pg G5), it reports results of finding stuff in bagged lettuce.   Not bugs critters like frogs, snakes (!), some of whom “are not deceased”. As reported in journal Science of the Total Environment eight frogs, a toad and a lizard were found alive in bagged greens”.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 30 to 60 food borne illness outbreaks a year from 1998 to 2016 were caused by produce.  I could go on, but the last paragraph says: “even with triple washed bagged produce, it’s good practice to wash it at home.  And in the event that your produce contains unintended animal protein? It’s time to order a pizza!

No Cow, No Fish
I was going to finish with a quick reprise of a recent dinner at Cow and Fish, but I’m putting that on hold in the interest of brevity.. 


The game show:
Yesterday a got a package from Amazon, with no “from message” and it turned out to be a game that FOJTY sent (they find some interesting things) and look what it contained!

And with an endorsement like this


How can you go wrong?
I haven’t tackled the “recipe for play” yet, but there’s a board and everything.  Generally I am poor at this kind of thing, instead of showing how much I know, I generally show how much I don’t know. 


There is a board and that pack of cards is at least two inches thick.  Oh, my!

More to come
And don’t forget to
DFD
And despite liking C&F for food and presentation, I can’t break them of “no stem” up glasses, nor the stupid Mason Jars.   I will continue to fight the good fight

No comments: