Tuesday, July 30, 2019

This and That and vindication/Rev A

If you read the feeder as originally posted, this should replace it.  somehow they screwed up the sizes of the actual pictures from the actual article

It’s been a while since I devoted ink to “rants”, and these all don’t qualify, they have that flavor.  

We're Number One! 

What is it with the American Psyche that drives sports fans to a seemingly insatiable desire and fascination of “who’s number ONE”.   In the wee smalls, one of my defenses for the demons of the night is to listen to Sports Talk Radio Shows from one network to another.  Granted, they are eager to fill their time slot somehow, but they feed the American beast by endless debates as to whether LeBron or Michael is the GOAT, or Brady and Montana.  Who the he** cares? They’re all talented athletes (or atha-letes as one host says) and can’t they just co-exist without designated one as the “Best” ever regardless of decade or whatever.

One of the last refuges from this mania has (to me) been in the world of golf.  You can watch a tournament on the weekend (the recent Open Championship) and just enjoy that event, and when it’s over, it’s over.  On to the next.  Okay, there are occasional comparisons of stats (Tiger/Nicklaus) but palatable.  Well, that has now changed.  Now, every weekend when Tournament du Jour coverage starts it begins with a statement like “CBS Sports welcomes you to the Ridge Open, part of the season long race for the FEDEX cup!!”; now you can’t just enjoy the competition without continuous screens showing the cup points and standings.  The only reason the “regular season” exists is to see who is eligible for the FedEx Cup, The SUPER BOWL, NBA playoffs, or World Series. The other night one of the sporting talking heads urged his listeners to call up and say why or why not their NFL team would be in the playoffs!!  I am not sure but I don’t think game one has been played, and scrimmages (OTA’s as they’re called) have just started. Ridiculous!  Makes me ill and takes the enjoyment out of watching weekly competition for what it is. 

Press One if...

Okay, enough of that..second aggravation.   The other night we were hosting some friends over for dinner, and I picked up my (Android) phone to look at contacts or something, and upon pressing Contacts, a green box appeared around it and the phone said:  “You have selected contacts, to continue you must double click the box, or long press to (do something)” OMG what have I done? Same for anything. I couldn’t make it stop.  Panic set in, my worst nightmare, a phone that took 2 minutes to do anything!  After flailing around unsuccessfully, I called my contact with MFO's phone at the local Verizon store and, bless him, he answered, and said I had apparently somehow turned on the TalkBack feature.   "It’s pretty involved to turn it off, but if you call Verizon at 611, selecting option 4 they can do it over the lines".  Okay, I’ll try.  Press phone icon “you have selected the phone icon, press it twice to continue or long press..”  finally was able to call 611 to get the “welcome to Verizon please enter your Verizon pin number”.  Crap! I never use it, let alone know what it is.. took shot (you have entered 6 green box, 3 you have entered three (green box), and finally “That is not the pin associated with that account, please try again later”.  Click. A few tries later it asked me to briefly describe why I was calling… “Stop phone from talking back   I don’t understand you, let me get someone to help” finally an actual human answered and we stumbled through the process.  Do you know it makes a difference (at least in that mode) whether you scroll with two or three fingers?  By this time my heart rate was a million, and my nerves were in shreds.  I hope I never get in that mode again.  Once again the phone proves to be much smarter than its owner.  Kind of tainted my whole evening.

Well, well well

Okay, I want to finish on a upbeat.  Alert and longtime “Feeder Reeders” know that I continually have harped over the years on proper behavior when in a restaurant.  You also remember that the food writer/critic for the Washington Post (Tom Sietsema) sometimes deviates from his weekly reviews of restaurants to comment on similar subjects.  Last Sunday, I found this synopsis from one of his on-line chats:



I found the article extremely interesting

The “cleaning up” part was about the growing practice of presenting “naked tables” (i.e., no linens) even in dressier restaurants with silverware resting on bare surfaces, and the cleaning of same.  Wiped down?  Disinfected?  It was surprising to me how many people objected to this practice and lengths they go to for removing them from the table top (hence the cartoon above)

“Showing up” was discussion on whether or not you should return the call from restaurants that go to the trouble to dial you up and remind you.  Some places actually release your reservation if they don’t hear back.  Are you obligated to confirm your booking!  Polite manners would be to call the restaurant only if you had to cancel, otherwise it should be understood you are planning to fulfill your commitment. More interesting discussion

But, But, But what really got me was his third subject (Does Tom read the Feeder??)



Reiterating things I have railed about for years – apparently sharing the opinion with Mr. Sietsema (and the WaPo fashion editor)

Interpreted for readability  Somehow blogger screwed up my pics from the actual article.   They would read:
“My pet peeve is men wearing ball caps in dining rooms, which didn’t go over very well with a chat participant who claimed to be seated at the upscale Fiola while wearing jeans and a hat.  He called my annoyance “Disrcriminatory” without providing any details.

Call me prehistoric, but removing one’s hat indoors demonstrates respect.  Was I missing something?  I took the matter to The Post’s esteemed fashion critic, Robin Givan, who settled the matter to my great satisfaction when she responded via email that “unless that dining room is at an actual ball park, I say take off your cap”.  To me, keeping it on just makes you look like you're ready to flee the scene at any moment.

Givan added, "it's a little like sitting in a dining room with your sunglasses on.  Take them off, stay a while




In other words


Another part of the Feeder’s definition of his DFD has always been to dress in accordance with the restaurant which he also addressed:


T-shirt and cargo shorts at the Inn at Little Washington is not going to match the décor; someone in a tuxedo at McDonald’s similarly clashes

It is gratifying to me that I am not just some loonie howling in the wilderness but have others (far more into the “scene”) than I that share similar opinions

Other short notes

67 years ago (1952) today marked the opening of the linking of Maryland's Eastern and Western shore from Annapolis to Kent Island.

Rumor has it that there is much activity on the long awaited restaurant in Leonardtown on the other corner of the old Café Des Artistes (sigh)

And as Tom and I would remind you
DFD



No comments: