Friday, October 11, 2019

Poring Over Pour Over.... is it



Worth it?
As alert readers will remember, I am messing around with Pour Over Coffee.  And alert readers will also remember I am a (retired) engineer.  That being said.. off to the races for an update

Although very convenient, I have grown tired of the colored water that results from the Keuring.  After some experimenting, I have found that the Caribou Decaf is tolerable.  But, as for “real” coffee the Half Caff Green Mountain is only good for the (half) buzz.



I have also found (for some reason!) caffeine does not give quite the shock to the system as it used to.  With the result that I am seeking a good cup of coffee, which I think I’ve mentioned before.  I have (religiously) followed the “9 step” method with St. Inie’s Guatemala, which in coffeespeak features “Creamy with milk chocolate and dried pear notes”.. at least they have a different phrase wheel than the wine community (no “barnyard with overtones of sweaty saddle”).  Anyway, I had a cup of the Guatemala at a meeting in St. Inies shop and liked it, so got a bag o’beans for the project. 

I keep the beans in the freezer in a cryovac bag

only opening when I want to put them in a little jar for daily use (which also resides in the freezer)


So, the first step is to retrieve jar from freezer and do the mise en place – “frozen” beans with Tablespoon measurer, a “cup top” (conical) ceramic holder for #2 coffee filters, (cheapo) Krups coffee grinder, measuring cup, coffee cup, and instant read thermometer.

Next, we put 4 rounded tablespoons of beans in the spice/coffee grinder, and get 12 Ounces of cold tap water.
Then we grind said beans about 10 – 12 seconds (yes, I time it, remember the engineer part?) to about this grind.

The 12 Ounces of cold tap water heats on high in the microwave for about 2 minutes 47 seconds till it registers ~205 degrees

Then after pouring some of the water in the empty filter to just wet it and then discarding it from the cup, add the ground coffee and soak it just enough heated water for 30 seconds to let it “bloom”

Then finally, continue to (slowly) pour the 205-degree water in a circular motion over the coffee, maintaining an even level with the grind.

After letting it drain completely, and disposal of the filter/grounds, remove the conical doo hickey and
Voila!

A very tasty cup of coffee! Elapsed time maybe 15 minutes, but if you have the time, yes, it is well worth it!

Comings and goings in:
Solomons: the most recent bust was the “Striped Rock” and maybe before that “Catamaran’s”, has been once again resurrected as the “Bugeye Grill” ("It'll be different with me, see!")

 A quick peek at the menu reveals the usual standard fare for a touristy waterfront place

with pretty much standard stuff and prices… panko crusted rockfish ($26); maple-walnut salmon ($24), single crab cake Sammy (Hmmm a blend of lump and jumbo lump?.. for $18) and the requisite steaks ($28), 

Leonardtown:  SweetBay continues to race toward opening.  They’re performing some modifications to the front of the place, I think constructing larger windows (doors?) that may allow al fresco dining on the sidewalk sort of like Loic’s old place (sigh) did. 

And lastly…
The “other” emails I get besides my wcmat….that most people are familiar with, is the emails associated with the Blog account .  Over the years, that address has become fairly widely "known" to the point where I get 40 or 50 per day for things like military flashlights, products that will allow me to lose 80 pounds in one day, or make me a virile monster.  And in addition, many other pills and devices for purposes that don’t belong in the blog.  Also get my share of invitations from “Jennifer” who would really like to meet up with me for amorous purposes.  

Along those lines, I also get invites to meet up with “Hot” Ukrainian women.  I am not sure why Ukrainian, but that option is fairly common.   Now, (Please!!) don’t take this wrong, but my instant image of a Ukrainian woman is, (mostly created by news reports and images I suppose), a chunky woman, in an ill-fitting baggy print dress, babushka, non-New World shaving habits, and going over 350 pounds.  “hot” is something that never comes to mind.  

Okay, enough of your time (and I hope understanding)
Leave those Mason Jars in the box, and go
DFD


No comments: