Tuesday, April 14, 2009

This and That Tuesday

With MFO ensconced in Wisconsin, and the rain preventing any thought of yard work (darn it!) at the digs, Tuesday turned out to be a very enjoyable day. It started out with a visit from some dear friends I hadn’t seen since last year, and we had a delightful time over coffee discussing (among other worldly subjects) potential landscaping around the gray lagoon. There’s just something pleasing about a gentle rain, clouds, and fog.



It’s odd how living on the water always produces something to catch your attention. Even though it’s the same view, there’s always something different. Like today, I noticed that (poorly depicted – I gotta get a better camera) line of “white stuff” just beyond the pier. There’s enough breeze that wave action should move it down stream, but it has persisted in the same location for over a couple of hours. I always write these things off to interaction of wind, tide, and current, but who knows.



As part of my retirement “mind improvement” program, I am trying to read more. I am gradually getting over my guilt at “just sitting reading” (another discussion topic of this morning) and looking at it as enriching my narrow brain. At any rate, the current book is McCullough’s “John Adams”. Most of the book is told through letters from and to John and Abigail, their family, Thomas Jefferson, and other characters associated with Independence. While the volume of correspondence is impressive, what is even more amazing is the time factor. Months would pass for delivery of a letter from London or Paris to America and it’s return. Like “how’s it going with the constitutional convention?” and not a reply for half a year. Time is relative. It’s hard to for us realize how much life was slower then..

Speaking of which, it’s beginning to dawn on me that probably people are tired of hearing ramblings about retirement. It’s time to stop looking inward and begin to look outward (although a personal comment will appear now and then – I live my life in public anyway). So, we’ll try to pay more attention to food and stuff again. Much better subject.

Also speaking of which, it's gratifying to see that most of the readership won't be standing in line waiting for Olive Garden to open it's doors.

DFD (and let OG get what it deserves)

1 comment:

Frank deBros said...

Really don't get the appeal of Olive Garden. Around "the park" it's almost like it's proof that the area "has arrived". I really don't get it. There's more to a real town/city than the average meal price of the chain restaurants that are installed there (or whether you have a Super Walmart, BestBuy, whatever). But I guess you'd actually have to go live in a true city to understand that.