Thursday, April 30, 2009

This and That...

Despite dire forecasts and some ennui on my part we did go play golf yesterday at Breton Bay. I was reminded how pleasant playing with friends on a pretty much vacant golf course can be. Schedule pressures led to only doing 9 holes, but it was a very nice outing. And, I didn’t lose a single Titleist!! My only transgression was taking the cart deeper into the woods than the greens keeper wanted and I was sternly admonished.

Have heard no definitive account of the origin of the fire or extent of damage to pier and vessel. Reports are that the ship remains under armed guard near the base. Maybe Friday’s emptyprise will supply more information.

This weekend is the St. Mary’s County House and Garden Pilgrimage. There will be 11 sites, including the St. John’s Site Museum, the restored 1667 Brick Chapel, several buildings and gardens on the Campus, and Clocker’s Fancy. Most are centered around St. Mary’s City. You can find descriptions and details on the web site.

Tonight there will be an interesting piano recital in St. Mary’s Hall on the campus, at 8 o’clock. It will be given by a 13 year old student of Brian Ganz, Jonah Yeh, and will be his first piano solo. I understand Jonah’s father works on the base. Current plans will have the feeder in attendance.

This Saturday many of the embassies in DC on Massachusetts’s avenue will be open to the public as part of Passport DC. They will display their art, culture and food. Sounds very tempting, but unfortunately conflicts with the house and garden tour which I think trumps it. But if you're up in DC I'm sure it would be rewarding.

And, probably deservedly at the last, I was listening to the radio yesterday and heard a little piece about a high school in DC “winning a national contest”. Hmmm, science projects? art exhibits? scholastic competitions? academic excellence? essay contests? Wrong, oh culturally alert editor - this is the wireless, net centric connected age. It seems that the students were able to send more text messages than any other high school in the country. I believe it was around 19 thousand text messages sent by the (reported) 804 students. I’ll save you the math, that’s about 24 each. OMG. Their prize for this dubious distinction? A real live concert by Taylor Swift! Who, I found out is a “country-pop sensation”, apparently extremely popular with the high school set. The radio station played a few sound bites. Let’s just say that I have heard (IMHO) more talented singers in my life.

That’s it – enjoy the rest of your week and plan weekend accordingly!

DFD

No comments: