Friday, November 5, 2010

Showing No Quarter...

In my never ending quest to understand the intricate workings of social media, I met an expert (compared to my luddite status) Wednesday evening in the Coffee Quarter in San Souci plaza. Usually a bit less frenetic that other venues around town with wi-fi, we thought we’d meet there after work for a lesson, a snack, and a beverage. I arrived first so that I could be “set up” when the professor arrived. When I walked in, it was apparently between shifts as the “outgoing team” was deeply involved in conversation with the incoming team, at one of the tables in front of the unoccupied counter. Ha! I thought… Must be going over the menus, portions, tasks, and plan for the evening. Well, not. It was unavoidable to overhear them, but instead it was a story about somebody’s adventures with an emergency room someplace, how long it took, on and on. Finally one broke free and came over to take my order. I ordered the Hummus and Tabbouleh plate which I had enjoyed on a previous visit. I also ordered a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and retired to the back to hook up my machine.

Meanwhile the medical conversation continued unabated, nurse stories, etc.. As I was getting the ‘puter fired up, a young woman came over and said that they were out of Tabbouleh, and I could order something else or they would be glad to “add extra Pita chips”. I wasn't quite convinced of the equity of the proposed substitution, but reluctant to start over, I said okay. Medical briefing concluded, and the off shift people bid their fellow workers adieu and departed, wherein the new team went back into the kitchen. I then discovered that the “free wi-fi” entails looking at the daily code on your receipt, so make sure you retain yours. My tutor arrived, set up her machine, we chatted a bit, and then we prepared to begin class. You might note that the order had still not arrived. We were a few pages into the News Feeds, Walls, Find a Friend screens, and so forth when the plate arrived. To be fair (as I always am) the hummus was quite good, creamy and drizzled with a red chili oil (?), and a nice little cluster of olives. There indeed were “more” chips as the plate was mounded with them. We continued the lessons and a mutual friend came in, ordered a sandwich and took a seat. After observing her order sitting on the “out” counter for a while, she went over and retrieved it herself..

Anyway, I would prefer the team meetings occur in the back rather than amongst the customers, and maybe get some more Tabbouleh in the house or at least tell me they're out when I place the order. They should know that. And, a little more attention to the customers by the staff rather than themselves would have been appreciated. Maybe another time will be better....

So I am starting to understand “friends”, “my home”, chat, and so forth. I am trying to see if maybe I can assault you with the bottom feeder through face book. And don’t even mention “Tweeter” to me. Yet. Four Square? (I’m checked in to the toilet). Egad.

Buzzzzzz........

And apparently the new occupant of the Tavern at the Village/Woodlands Grill in Wildewood has opened their doors. Called La Tabella (Latin: Writing Tablet) it’s an Italian Restaurant (Ristorante Italiano) that asks you to: “Enter a world of sublime sights, scents, tastes and elegant atmosphere, at prices that will make you smile.” ........Indeed.

The menu is populated with the usual items you expect. Pastas stuffed and plain, specialties: chicken, seafood, veal piccata the usual stuff. A carbonara, fra diavolo, scampi, a typical neo Italian menu. Without dining there, I can’t say anything about quality or service yet. I’ve never felt very comfy in that space, it’s too open for my taste. But, God love them for opening another independent place in the face of the onslaught of Cracker Barrels and Road Houses. Good luck to them. And this from the web site: “Were waiting for you to come home...”Given that they’re in a retirement community, I suppose I just might be true!

Oh, a stringer from the Seattle area passed along a link to a review in a local paper. I thought it was particularly well written, and expressed a lot of my sentiments better than I can (but I’m trying). It’s pretty long, but when you have time take a look.., or at least read the first part.

No comments: