Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Little Better Today....

Well, the weather gods that caused my depression of yesterday must have felt guilty as they provided some relief yesterday afternoon. Clouds gathered from the north, thunder rumbled (sending me and John Deere into the garage) and rain began to fall. What followed was an extremely pleasant couple of hours of gray skies, gentle rains and a constant undertone of thunder. Never was anything threatening, just peaceful and calming. Maybe I should move to Seattle, although contacts there say that everybody is up in arms because they have a heat wave, with temperatures soaring into the low eighties.. Here the sun is beating down again, with temps projected into the nineties, but with lower humidity. Is it September yet?

And I did forget one food related snippet from the weekend.. Friday night after we bagged going to the River Concert (which I think stayed outdoors, by the way), we decided for some reason to get some takeout from Monterey, just up the road. Not finding a takeout menu kicking around the counter we had to navigate the website (which is very colorful and festive). As usual a stunning amount of choices and combinations to work through, but I finally settled on “Enchiladas Yolandas" which were described as Three chicken enchiladas topped with special sauce, served with rice and guacamole salad. MFO selected a burrito dish. Called and ordered, and then in a few minutes drove up and retrieved it. It included our orders and of course a big bag of tortilla chips with little dishes of their red and white sauce. I particularly enjoyed the white version, as readers know I am not interested in highly spiced or heat in food. Anyway, my point is that despite some misgivings, I really enjoyed the enchiladas. They were filled with chunks of chicken, readily identified as real cut up chicken breasts, covered with a cilantro based creamy sauce that was quite nice. Salad and rice was, well, salad and rice. I guess I don’t classify Monterey as a “chain”, and we did have a nice takeout. FWIW.

And then last night we watched Antiques Road Show, with the usual parade of people with things from yard sales, Aunt Tillie’s attic, and so on. We always enjoy that, although there is an occasional “That should be in a MUSEUM!” from archivist MFO. And after that we listened to the President and then the speaker of the House. How in the world did we get here? It’s astounding to me. Of course I have my opinions, as do you, and that’s great. But what gets me is that both “sides” claim that they know “what the American People want”. Nobody has contacted me! You know what I want? I want all this stuff to quit and just get it done. It’s like the recent NFL football silliness. Everybody knows it will be done, but we have to do all this posturing, dancing, and claims that only they know what is right. Personally, I don’t really mind nor see how closing tax loopholes for the hedge fund managers hurts, but the House feels distinctly that they must be continued. I’m so tired of this bickering. Surely there must be a little give on both sides (no there isn’t and stop calling me Shirley!). Anyway the dance continues..

And funny, as I’m typing this I’m also watching our county commissioners on Channel 95. No fireworks or acrimony this morning, but a nice contrast to the ritual going on up the road..

I got a nice comment from a reader in regards to my noting that half the “landscape trees” in front of the ugly Texas Roadhouse were dead. It was pointed out to me that it was “Just like Texas!”. Point well made!

And, I see that Buffalo Wings and Beer continues moving forward, as does the"new" McDonalds near G&H jewelers.

Go get a diamond, a quarter pounder, and you are

DFD

No comments: