Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bits and Pieces...

A few random (almost trivial) nitnoids to help pass your Wednesday morning…

On your doorstep…

I finally decided to get a “point and shoot” camera for documenting selected dishes and locations when dining out.  As reported in earlier editions, I am still reluctant to haul out a device and take a shot of something at a table, but sometimes it’s warranted.  I am fairly inept using the phone, and hauling the DSLR is stupid.  Anyway, I settled on another Canon device (ELPH 310 HS).  So, late last Thursday afternoon I logged on to B&H Photo (my “go to” place for camera gear) and pulled the trigger.  Long story short (get it?), it was on the doorstep by four o’clock on Monday.   How do they do that?  It always amazes me.

Our national song…

Sunday, I settled in to watch the Ravens/Pats game on TV.  For years, Rozanne Barr and Christine Aguilera stood alone in the “Worst National Anthem Performance” club, but there is a new member and maybe a new president.  That idiot Steven Tyler (of American Idol infamy) probably took the prize as the worst rendition of the National Anthem ever.  Once again, it’s “all about me”.  Never mind that people go to war and sacrifice their lives for our country, and many take pride in our Anthem, but, no, let’s just see how goofy and “cute” I can be, screech a few times, passing it off as "singing" while adorned in my sequined scarf.  A real shame.  

Order In…

Apparently there is a chance that one of these days you can go into a Starbuck’s and order a “Grande extra cold, low foam, double hopped, brewsky”.   Reports are that selected stores will begin selling beer and wine during the afternoon “lull” time.  One store in Seattle has been pioneering it and they must be sufficiently happy with the results that they are expanding to twenty five more locations in selected locations.  Speaking of which it was noted in the little blurb I was reading that there are over ten thousand stores in the US..

Passing…

In the “nothing is forever” department it has been confirmed that Scheibles, another of our (few remaining) iconic St. Mary’s County waterfront “crab houses”, will die/change.  It has been acquired by Parkway Hospitality Management (Our multi-talented team of diverse hospitality professionals cater and customize our service to each individual property’s unique needs), who are going to transform it into a “…larger resort. The marina will be used for charter fishing and other water activities”. And they are “…are truly excited to develop the resort at Scheibles”.  I’m sure they are. We have a unique heritage of such places in our lovely county, and one by one, they are made into a bunch of slick, modern, tasteless, buildings.  Like Evan’s for example.  I don’t know if there are any changes made yet, but you should make a point of experiencing places like this before they are all gone.  Long Live Courtney’s!!

Lexicon…

As alert readers know (all too well), there are certain words and phrases in food settings that drive the Feeder nuts.  You Guys; Hon; Dearie; Workin on that; Taking care of you; the list goes on.  And now I am forced to add another: the word “Yummy”.  You might remember that I nearly throttled a woman near me at a cooking class one time after she repeatedly squealed the word every time a dish was set in front of her.  I think she may have even used it with the ice water.  To me, after somebody has worked hard to prepare a dish (like say, seared foie gras with white truffle oil) for your pleasure uttering “Yummy!” (unless you’re eight years old) demeans the dish.   As you know, I appreciate harmony in all things, and coupling silly phrases with serious food just is not. 


And here, tucked at the bottom as usual, is the continual reminder to


DFD

No comments: