Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Of This and that famous That....

A few this’s and that’s have been piling up so maybe we can tick off a few today, leading off with a regrettable error on my part:

Errata:

In my recounting of our experience at The Source, I mentioned that I could not find them in this year's Washingtonian’s listing of the 100 Very Best (gosh, I hate using that word).  I guess the aging eyes have failed me because another look at the list for this year revealed that they are indeed included.  I don’t know how I could have missed.  Anyway, in the 2011 list, they were awarded three and a half stars, and even dubbed the third “b-word” on the entire list, behind only Komi and Inn at Little Washington, heady company, indeed.  Well this year, while they are on the list, they have been stripped of an entire star and are not included in the top ten.  There is a little blurb about them (along with all the other restaurants on the list) but there is no mention of why they fell from grace.

In a way, it makes me feel better to discover my oversight; it seemed illogical that you would drop from overall three to “off the list”.  One would hope for some consistency in performance, although you might think they would explain why they plummeted..   Again, sorry.

Reviews:

Speaking of “reviews”, there was a review of our Café Des Artistes “Heaven in St. Mary’s Countypublished in the Old Town Crier, a free publication from Alexandria.  The review has been referenced in several local social media sites and the restaurant includes it in their weekly little news note.   This is the first time I’ve read a review from Mr. Oppman, so don’t have anything to compare it to.  To echo his own words, his praise was “effusive”.  The only thing close to a negative was that Mr. Oppman pointed out there was no Fondant in a dessert called Chocolate Fondant.   Well that, and he chose to inform us (after praising Chef’s Brulee) that: “Too many American Chefs don’t know the difference between Crème Caramel and Crème Brulee”.  Really!. Pretty bold statement.  I think I might choose to disagree.  I am happy to see Chef get the recognition from outside the county that he fully deserves.  Hopefully Mr. Oppman will make good on his statement that his visit to CDA was his first but won’t be his last. 

Dilemma:

In the above mentioned review of CDA there were photos of some of the dishes.  Harking back to The Source for a moment, I put in a few of mine in the posting, and well, I have to agree with a couple of readers that they were pathetic.  As readers know, I am kind of a traditionalist when it comes to dining (DFD and so forth).  For instance, I really don’t appreciate a table next to us popping flashes of each dish that is brought to the table.  On the other hand, if one is “reviewing” a restaurant, the reader deserves to see what is being talked about.  Fair enough.  So aside from our experience at “The Inn” (where I feel we darn well bought the privilege), I am somewhat reluctant to stop the proceedings to snap a picture.  If I were a “real” reviewer published by somebody other than myself, it might be warranted, but I’m not; hence the hastily and poorly grabbed shots with the Droid.  I am thinking of upgrading to a quality point and shoot, but it still leaves me on the horns.  I don’t have a good answer for myself.  Yet.

Driving:

So we were driving north on 235 the other day, and were in the Momster.  As anybody that pilots (or is a passenger in) a larger vehicle knows, the higher elevation of the seats affords a good view of people in smaller cars. We were stopped at a light in the Park, and in the car next to me (I was a passenger) the driver’s head dropped, a sure sign of texting (as you know).  About then the light changed and we went forward while the car beside us didn’t (another sign), but eventually he caught up to us, head bobbing between looking at the road and his lap.  As he passed us (yes, I stared), I looked into his lap and saw him feverishly working on a …… Rubik’s Cube!!!  That’s got to be a first..  oh, and there were two kids in the car.

Okay, enough for today.   have a real bona fide foodie experience to relate the next time.  Meanwhile continue to

DFD

No comments: