Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lite Wednesday

Just more ramblings (verbal, not physical) in random order…


First Amendment?

Don’t know if you’ve been to Google today, but there is a big black rectangle over the usual doodle, and I’m told Wikipedia, that fountain of information (some would say misinformation) has shut down for 24 hours. This in response to a bill (Stop Online Piracy Act) wending its way through Congress regarding content on the web. I will freely admit that I know nearly zero about it, but it seems to be polarizing the internet community. Spokespeople for the “web” side of things (Google, Wikipedia, various bloggers) portray it as shutting down the web, big brotherism, etc. On the other hand supporters say its purpose is to stop the illegal downloading of music and movies. I don’t have a position here, but as usual I suppose the truth lies in the middle. I don’t think the Bottom Feeder is in any peril..

Idolatry

Unless you don’t watch television at all, you know tonight is the long awaited new season of “American Idol”, where we see promos featuring weeping singers, gleeful people hopping up and down, and so forth. But what really gets my goat are those (excuse me) stupid “judges”, allegedly (self?) qualified to decide who has “talent” enough to advance, and who should go back to the Karaoke bars. All three of them have more face time than the contestants, especially the Steven Tyler caricature who seems to feel he is the most wonderful whacky, crazy guy, in the world. I will freely admit (for the second time today) that I am way behind on Pop Culture, but I have no idea what he did to deserve getting national attention. Of course, I am in the vast minority of viewers, and I’m sure the ratings will skyrocket. I am proud to say I have never seen a single episode, and today will not alter that. You want great TV? Watch Downton Abbey, or one of the Sherlock Holmes episodes (the “originals” with Jeremy Brett).

Driving

Well, for a while there, I thought we were making progress. But alas, I guess not, and this is not new, just repetitive. Once again, while wanting to go North on 235 from my darling Millstone Landing Road, I was forced to sit behind a stationary car for a full three or four minutes who (I am not making this up) waited until ALL (three) lanes were clear of traffic for miles, and then pulled directly across the “merge” lane into the right hand lane, and continued north. I don’t condone, but maybe somewhat understand unskilled drivers who don’t want to navigate across three lanes (not usually very difficult) to go left at the next light, but waiting just to get into the right lane? Sheesh. Serenity now..

Foodie Factoids.

I noticed on the national news last night there was a short story about Burger King initiating delivery… remember it was reported first here…

As alert readers remember, I continually rail against the poor service that is so rampant around here (You Guys made any decisions?). Well, I was gratified to read about a resurgence of “server schools”. If you have a minute, here’s an interesting article..

According to a Travel Channel Poll: “American consumers are getting more adventurous when it comes to trying unusual foods, with significant numbers saying they would include on a Super Bowl party menu muskrat chili, pig's ear sandwiches and even possum fajitas”. With apologies to Anthony Bourdain, there is a line someplace between adventurous and stupid.

Nice Section

And just to end on something more pleasant than my almost rants, more pleasing for the eye


by any other name..


and, as the moon rises



we'll just remind you to

DFD









No comments: