Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Great Restaurant (??)


With San Diego in the Memory banks, I was going to do a report today about some books  that I have read lately (part of my relaxed lifestyle), which deserve talking about.. But another subject has pushed it off the front page.

Last night, an alert and discerning reader forwarded me the following link to a restaurant review by Marilyn Haggarty from Grand Forks, North Dakota.

How he came across it was not divulged, but as I read it (you should, please) I couldn’t believe what I was reading.  It was a review of their newly opened Olive Garden.

After a lengthy wait for Olive Garden to open in Grand Forks, the lines were long in February. The novelty is slowly wearing off, but the steady following attests the warm welcome

She went on describing her experience and what a wonderful meal it was.

The chicken Alfredo ($10.95) was warm and comforting on a cold day. The portion was generous. My server was ready with Parmesan cheese.”

All in all, it is the largest and most beautiful restaurant now operating in Grand Forks. It attracts visitors from out of town as well as people who live here

My first reaction was that it was tongue in cheek, a masterful piece of sarcasm, and a parody on chain restaurants.  But the more I read it, the less convinced I became of that opinion .  I don’t mean to denigrate her, but she turns out to be 85 years old, and has lived there for most of her life.  I was so fired up I sent her an email, not necessarily criticizing her for reviewing a “chain” but pointing out what a disservice to her community it was to drive people to a chain.

So this morning I woke up, and as usual we tuned in to the Weather Channel (old people watch the Weather Channel), and they cut to somebody (Mike Sidell?) in (get this) Grand Forks, North Dakota!  His lead in was that “I’m usually here to describe the winter weather, but this time I’m outside the Olive Garden”.  Holy crap!  He further reported that Maryiyn’s “review” had gone (I hate this word) viral on the internet.  So I googled it and there were a plethora of foodie posts slamming her.  There was also an article by the newspaper defending her, saying that foodie people are snobs, only respecting high end restaurants and on and on.

A recent google research reveals she is now headed to New York to be a guest at Le Bernadin, and other upscale places.  Is she savvy enough to launch her review with that in mind?

I am not sure what to think, but I will relate that by pushing some chain in Grand Forks, she is taking revenue away from (hopefully there are) local places.  When you support a chain, you eat food developed in a corporate kitchen; marketed research to give you dishes what they think most people want (Chicken Alfredo) prepared off site, shipped in and finished for your dining pleasure.  But you know what? Your check puts money in the corporate till, it leaves the area to join a regional pot.  Your local restaurants that can prepare unique dishes with locally sourced ingredients, displaying talents of a chef able to innovate and express his/her individuality lose their chance.

Thanks, Marilyn.. I hope your local restaurants appreciate your power play.  And when you are at Le Bernadin will you be

DFD?

No comments: