Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Still Topless....

At least in the "lap" computer division..  am slowly adding more capability to my “wiped” one, but still not completely up on picture capability, so you still have to deal with words..

More windmills

I swear I am not making this up.  As the college basketball wars wind down I tend to watch both genders battle themselves down toward a final four.  So I was watching a couple of women’s teams the other night (I forget who) and of course the winning team had to suffer the post game microphone stuck in their face with the usual idiotic questions: “tell me how were you able to…?” .  So here was a female interviewer talking to a female coach of a team which, as near as I could tell, was composed completely of members of the fairest gender.  Several of the questions from the lady interviewer to the lady coach were “how were you guys able to overcome their zone…”; “what were the last instructions to your guys before you left the locker room”;  “what made you guys confident you recover from ten points….”.  Nobody batted an eye.  Does this seem odd to anybody else?  Howling in the wilderness again.

And I suppose I rant on this every year, but I need to do this again…  I really try to be objective in this, I really do, but I have to wonder  Last night, there were two games, both a number one seed versus a number two, vying for spots in the NCAA Woman's Final Four (or perhaps the guys final four).  At this point the Cinderella’s should be pumpkins and you would expect close games.  Notre Dame, fresh from a closely fought game with St. Bonaventure eking out a 44 point victory, took on Maryland who had a pretty good run in the tournament, taking out the defending champ Texas A&M.   Maryland was unable to score 50 points, losing by 30.  I am not sure what all this means.  Enough..  

Letter to the Editor....

Alert readers will remember that I often report that the restaurant Charleston in Baltimore receives accolades both locally and nationally as number one this, and (gulp) best that, always in top ten lists and so forth, and the one experience we had was memorable.  So an equally alert MFO called my attention to a letter to the editor in Baltimore Magazine regarding their list of top restaurants recently published.  It began with “Are you kidding me? Charleston is number one?”  It went on to say that “if the clientele were all millionaires, I might understand the over-the-top, ridiculous prices for mere morsels of food”.  He complained about his $20 appetizer and though it was advertised as three pieces of seafood, he could only remember a calamari.  Then, the entrees were so small you "needed a microscope to find them".  He concluded by saying they also ate at a non-rated restaurant, and again miniscule portions with exorbitant prices, and so could not understand why Charleston is considered one of the best.  That was it.  No mention of service, no indication of how those “miniscule” portions were paired, presented or tasted, just that they were small. 

Well, sir, I really don’t know you, but maybe some research would have given you some clue.  Perhaps you would be better served at an “all you can eat” buffet, or places with “endless salad and bread sticks”.  If quantity and not quality is what you seek, there are lots of places that should appeal to you..

On the road…

Tomorrow MFO and I once again saddle up the MOMSTER, and this time we will go over the Bay Bridge and spend the weekend in Cambridge on the Eastern Shore.  The annual District Conference of mid-atlantic Rotary Clubs is being held there, and part of my duties include royal appearances of King Oyster.  So the velvet and ermine robes will be packed along with the crown and scepter, to stroll around dispensing largesse.  The two day agenda is full which includes various luncheons and banquets, so dining opportunities will probably be limited to “hotel food”.  And to add insult to injury we will pass within a few miles of the Bartlett Pear Inn….  Sigh.

His majesty will be

DFD

No comments: