Monday, April 8, 2013

Hoops Hoopla...


Well, since we were kind of academic in trying to find Miss Ann, maybe I have a little license to descend into a (mercifully short) mild rant and despite drivers giving me some justification, this has more to do with sports.

This last weekend kind of kicked off a special time for those of us who like college sports, in that both the women and men basketball players were finally to their ‘final four”, the “frozen four” will febe played this week, and although it is not college, it is “Master’s Week” at Augusta.  A special time.  So, we did spend a fair amount of time watching the  various contests.  But what really gets me is the scheduling of such broadcasts.  I suppose the TV pundits have to try to satisfy a nationwide audience, but why must they schedule games to start after nine at night?  Want to watch Michigan play Syracuse?  Caffeine yourself, it tips at 9:20!  Tonight’s “championship” game is estimated to start at 9:23.  Did you watch Notre Dame (women) play UCONN last night?  What time did you finally get to sleep?  After midnight.  Don’t the “kids” playing need some sleep too?  I can maybe see it if they are playing on the West Coast, three hours from a decent time there is late here.  But the men are playing in Atlanta, and the women are in New Orleans (okay, there’s one hour), so why can’t they start at, say, seven or seven thirty?  I suppose the answer is that they don’t want a four o’clock type start on the west coast, but that could be a nice excuse for an early out and watch the game with happy hour.  All I know is that it takes me a week or so to recover from this run of late games.

And good friend Domer, I can’t let this go without comment.  In probably what will amount to the women’s championship game last night, UCONN finally beat the lady Irish.  And yes, this is more of an indictment of the “media” than the player, but if I had a buck for every mention of Skyler Diggins, I would be having a really nice bottle of wine. Skyler this, Skyler that, the cameras barely left her with close up after close up, up the court, down the court, on the bench, in time outs, features, on and on.  And in the end, I couldn’t help but think of another Manti T’eo situation wherein the media hyped Notre Dame player just doesn’t show up on the big stage.  A three for fifteen shooting night with ten total points, four of which came on free throws.. okay I’m done.

And to try to end on a more positive note, did you see Jim Furyk hole out on eighteen yesterday in the last PGA event prior to the Masters?  What a shot.  But what I really liked was the fact that he actually laughed and enjoyed it.  Think Tiger would have done that?  Nope, stone faced as usual.. oops that isn’t too positive.

Okay I feel better, go Michigan, hope I can stay awake after I have

DFD

No comments: