Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Bowl of Soup And Bones



Well, I guess any responsible journalist (which kind of excludes me) has commented on Sunday’s football game, so I’ll pretend and throw in a few lines.  The game was really decided in less time than it will take me to type about it.  When the ill advised return of the opening kickoff from deep in the end zone was followed by the football whizzing past an astonished Peyton Manning’s ear, the die was pretty much cast.  The real nail in the coffin was the second half opening kickoff resulting in the ball traversing the field into the end zone.  Whose rule is it that says nothing is ever as good or bad as it seems?  I really don’t think Denver is THAT bad, nor is Seattle THAT good (despite the testimony of the scoreboard).  To be sure, Denver got whupped, but they beat some pretty good teams along the way.  And see, by now the game was (virtually) over.  I also won’t get into the debate on what makes you a “great” quarterback.  I don’t think counting rings is the correct metric.  By that measure, Mark Rypien is a better quarterback than Dan Marino.. lets bring out the (college) round balls now..

And for something completely different, MFO and I are going up the road today to the NIH in Bethesda so she can participate in a study on Essential Tremor they are conducting. Her symptoms weren’t bad enough at the first screening, but they have decided they need a full spectrum,  so have called her back.  So into the teeth of the storm we go..  back tomorrow.  And speaking of things medical, had an interesting (and frustrating) experience yesterday.  We got a call from the local GP’s office reminding me of my check up appointment today (Tuesday) at one o’clock.  Well, I had completely neglected to get my blood work done plus today’s shenanigans occupy my brain enough, so I decided to postpone the visit for a couple of weeks.
I have mentioned this before, but our local physician’s organization employs phone people who are not of our Nationality.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but they do interface with people who are used to conversing in a different language.  So my experience went something like:
Hello, Dr. So and So’s office, may I help you sir?  (any attempt at phonetically duplicating the conversation is abandoned)
Yes, this is (me) and I wish to change an appointment.
And you want to schedule an appointment?
No, I have one and wish to change it.
What is your date of birth?.............. And you are Mr. William?
Yes.  I would like to change my appointment to the 19th of February
Okay, Mr. Williams, I can schedule that for you, how about (time and place).
Uhh, okay, but just to be sure I am William !
And you wish to schedule an appointment for yourself as well as Mr. Williams?
You get the idea… after few go rounds (and I did NOT lift my voice), we did iron out that Mr. Williams and myself were one in the same person, and only needed one appointment on the 19th of February..
And the final shot was “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Anyway, I have found a potential restaurant in Bethesda, and will report probably Thursday.  Have to go back a bag so we can be

DFD


No comments: