Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pucks and Oysters...



Ye olde editor’s note:  this was penned late in the afternoon of Sunday (the 23rd) so depending on when you see this, there is kind of “dated” material here and there

Well the winter games of the XXII Olympiad are over.. .. well, kind of over.  In reality, the closing ceremonies have concluded and the torch (has literally) passed to Korea for 2018.  However, intrepid NBC continues to pretend the nine hour time difference doesn’t exist and won’t let us see the closing ceremonies until this evening. So before getting to some food content, I’ll muse a little on the games just concluded.

I have never been competitive at sports (or little else for that matter) but the former athletes and competitors used as resource people for commenting on the events seem to stress that mostly who you are competing against is yourself.  They measure success by their own standards, being satisfied if they did the best they could, not what’s hanging on their necks at the end.  And speaking of measuring success, have you noticed the distinct lack of showing the “medal count” now that USA didn’t “win” the Olympics.

Slap shots

Having coached the sport for many years, I had special interest in the Hockey games and pretty much enjoyed the “big ice”, wide open, version played in the Olympics as opposed to the NHL version we see here.  Passing, skating, and play making are important, and I personally did not see or hear of any fights.  So much more entertaining.  A closer version is played here in the college games where you see 100% effort every shift and only minor pushing and shoving (it IS a contact sport). 

I also noted that it was thirty four years ago yesterday that the “Miracle on Ice” occurred in Lake Placid.  That team was composed of amateur players, and the defeat of the Russians in the semi finals has been called one of the top sports moments of the 20th century.  Like other apocryphal moments in history I still remember exactly where I was.  I was in the Dellwood ice rink in Florrisant, MO (suburb of St. Louis), in a little locker room with a bunch of little kids fresh from practice. It was a great experience.  Bringing things back to the present, I think one reason that this year’s USA team was excused was exactly the same as recognized by MFO in those old days in St. Louis  hockey rinks whose stentorian “Too much Dancin’!!” could be heard from the stands when that last extraneous pass or an attempt at a cute stick handle move resulted in a turnover. Sound familiar?  The companion MFO message was “Shooooot the puck!”.  That particular piece of advice was echoed in these Olympics by none other than Eddie (the Eagle) who routinely commented that: “It’s never a bad play to put the puck on the net”.   Great sport..  see you in four years…. Hopefully !!

Oysters

Funny how things transpire..  Sometimes I never know where I’m going when I start to hammer the keyboard, and the words that flow take me someplace I had no idea of when I started.  Earlier this weekend I was working on my piece for the SMC tourism website and wanted to talk about something to cook in this dark winter we’re suffering.  Naturally, I thought of Oysters, and browsed my collection of cookbooks.  I ran across one from the past days here at Pax River



The cover image of a still complete Cedar Point Light House and the words NATC kind of give its age away.  I THINK it was published during the flight test program for the “original” F/A-18 Hornet, as part of a fund raiser for something as these types of “comb bound” volumes generally are.  I remembered a particular recipe that I used to make that was always appreciated even by those who normally don’t eat oysters, in the form of Scalloped Oysters.  Easy to make not much fuss and is really good.



Alert local food people will note the name of the contributor in the upper right.  In the day, Bill Taylor was known as the “Dinner Designer”, and catered elaborate dinner parties around the county.  His invitations were always a work of art, hand written in beautiful script (I still have a couple someplace).  In later years (‘90’s), his house was a museum of show costumes, playbills, and memorabilia devoted to musicals and shows.  As age overtook him, he became an irascible character, one of those people who had different persona between public and private.  He is no longer with us, no doubt planning dinners….somewhere.  But he was part of the fabric of Southern Maryland Food…  and by golly he was ALWAYS

DFD

Reminder:  Downton Abbey season ends tonight… DVR!!… remember last year’s surprise ending!!



No comments: