Friday, February 14, 2014

After the Storm

hope you did okay      

I woke up this morning with an uncommon (for me) emotion , one I don’t experience too often, that of “enthusiasm”.  The sun was bright, the sky was blue, nothing was falling or accumulating, the little Ruddy Ducks were peacefully bobbing in the river, and it was pretty.

Everybody has their own way of coping with things, but unfortunately I am wired such that when faced with the prospect of an impending meteorological event (hurricane, tornadoes, major winter storms, etc.) I respond by doing preparations as if we would be without power, food, communication, transportation, medical care, and such for weeks.  I know others have a more laissez faire, comme ci comme ça approach, and I admire them for that.  I just can’t do it.  MFO sort of is that category so my behavior only confirms her opinion that I am an idiot (at least in this regard).  And, the preponderance of the time she and they are correct.  You get through it.  But I have this kind of belief that if you DON”T do this stuff, you will be punished and get hammered (another coping approach I sometime employ),

So, I spend a couple of days doing things like:
Start the generator, place it and extension cords in the “ready” location.
Fill the cars and all gas cans with gas.
Check propane levels in the big tanks.
Buy (even) more batteries for flashlights, radios, lanterns, and the like.
Stage the auxiliary lighting in an accessible place.
Make sure we have plenty of non-refrigerated foods such as canned soups and pastas.
Consult numerous radar and weather sites almost hourly.
And yes, even though we have “city” water, make sure we have some bottles.
(Speaking of bottles), check the liquor cabinet (in case the alternate coping approach is needed)

Well, there’s more but you get the idea. So far this technique has worked.  The storm that crippled the south, DC, and New England for the past couple of days only kind of gave us minor troubles down here in Southern Maryland. Despite a fitful night of sleep checking the ceiling fans to make sure we still had power (kind of the canary approach – they go at the slightest fluctuation) we only had the chimney cap wind up in the front yard from a gust of wind.  While the storm rages, I just kind of go into a shell, running over stuff in my mind.

So maybe you can see why I awoke this morning not having to worry about that stuff. and as usual feelings somewhat sheepish, but like the Bud Light commercials: “It’s only stupid if it doesn't work”.  it does for me...  I suppose that this kind of thing is what ultimately drives you into retirement communities. Sigh..

And just a curmudgeon note to all those (well meaning) Facebook posters wishing for snow, I hope you've had enough for this year.  I always wonder if they have kids and jobs when they wish for “a real snow storm”.  Just me..

Subs.
Apparently “subs” are another of those food products you can never have enough of.  Like Pizza and Chinese/Asian/Mexican food, they just keep coming.  Going up Route 235 the other day I noticed another of St. Mary’s County most used sign: “coming soon”.  It was next to the carpet place by the main branch of the Credit Union.  They were “Now Hiring” for a new Firehouse Subs outlet.  Apparently one of the 730 locations in 39 states and counting..  Not sure why I would buy a sandwich from a fireman, don’t quite get the connection, although there used to be that myth about firemen make good cooks because that’s all they have to do with no fires. A quick look at their menu doesn't reveal anything special.   Anyway, within a mile or so there is now about seven places where you can buy pretty much the same product (with the exception of Blue Wind which is a step above).  I don’t know where the end is.  Maybe there isn't one.

Okay, gotta go enjoy the day..  take 'em where you can get 'em.  Have to put all that stuff back.. oh well

Happy Valentine’s Day! And whatever you do for celebration

DFD


No comments: