Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Very Docent Day

As some people might remember, I volunteer weekends at Historic St. Mary’s City, mostly sitting out at the (Reconstructed) Brick Chapel of 1667.  As a method of reporting our day to other “Chapvols” as we call ourselves, we sometimes publish a little thing called “Chapel Chatter”.  Last Saturday was quite a day for me and resulted in a rather lengthy and unique for me “chatter”…so I thought maybe others might enjoy a little break from food and have a pleasant diversion seeing what us Docents live with..
Editor’s (me) note:  this will be a repeat for some that see the Chatter…(and for them I have edited some from the original)

Well, yesterday was a day of “firsts” for me.

First “first”:   my usual practice of Chapvol Duty is to park on the road, unload the “gear” over the fence, drive over to the VC (Visitor Center), park the car, check in/chat with Laurel, hike out to the Chapel, set up camp and settle in.   For the first time ever (!) when I arrived outside “da fence” (about 10:50) there was a group of four guests just approaching the chapel and another bunch on the walkway by the signs.  So with gear and seat bags in hand(s) I hopped (well, struggled) over the fence and walked into the chapel shortly after the initial group entered.  They kind of gave me the “who the heck are you?” look, but after the standard “Hi, have you seen the chapel before?” we had a nice conversation about the chapel and its story.   Shortly after their arrival the second group arrived, and then another, then another..  I wasn’t able to get the car over to the VC until a little gap at almost 12:00.  I counted 17 folk between my arrival and close to noon.

The 12 to 1:00 slot featured 11 more people, including a group with 3 adults and 2 kids, a boy and a little girl.  I became aware of their presence when I heard screaming from out by the pavilion (near the chapel).  I peeked out to see the youngest girl (eight? I’m no judge) kicking her pink flip flops high into the air, yelling “NO!”.  This went on with mom cajoling her to calm down and resulted in a tantrum while the little kid sat on the Joe Poe bench screaming and crying, with a couple more field goals of the sandals.  Meantime Dad, Gramma, and the little boy came into the chapel.  The little lad was interested in the bricks.  Dad appeared unconcerned with the histrionics outside.  Eventually mom and Louise “the toe” came in also.  You forget about having kids..  been a long time.  During that time a couple more people just walked right by the chapel.  They did have tickets.

The second “First” occurred between 1:00 and 2:00.  Things had kind of quieted down and I was reading my book: “Winter King – A Biography of King Henry VII” and looked up and saw what appeared to be somebody riding a bike (not the “first”) on the path, turning into Mackall barn.  I quickly called the VC to get policy straight before I tackled the guy, and Aaron said while we don’t like it, it isn’t worth being nasty.  Eventually the person approached the chapel by the pavilion, and the bike was some little contraption, maybe it folded up or something I don’t know, just wasn’t a standard two wheeler.  Plus, I couldn’t see a ticket displayed by its rider.  I’m ready for him I thought.  He got off the bike at the head of the path, and walked it up to the chapel.  He had on an orange (maybe significant, read on) “pork pie” hat turned backwards, and it was apparent that he was not from this country.  When he got to me and the chapel he had a charming smile, and politely said “I know I don’t have a ticket, but can I look inside?”  Nobody else was there and so I said sure come on in.. [ed. Note:  people who “jump the fence” and get on the site without paying (tickets) are the bane of our existence]

What followed was one of the most interesting conversations I’ve ever had in the Chapel.  He was from Thailand, and language was still a bit of a barrier.  Turns out he “works” for Harry Lundeberg School, is an engineer, and is aboard ship for six months, and then travels the other six.  Somehow he lives in Alaska.  Eventually the “First” came when he said that while in Thailand he was a practicing Buddhist Monk!!  I’ll bet we’ve never had a Buddhist Monk in the Chapel! He was very interested in Baltimore’s “freedom of conscience”, and we discussed Catholics and Anglicans in England, William and Mary and their penal laws, how religion should be treated, how one should live one’s life (very simply – money was a problem), and many other subjects.  I would have paid HIM ten bucks for the experience.  As he left, he thanked me profusely, said he would come back next week and buy a ticket, but who knows.  Very pleasant, little (maybe five feet three), sweet guy.  The Calverts would have been proud.

The rest of the day (up until about three fifteen) saw 15 more people, the only wrinkle was a pair who had on “Sturgis” motorcycle garb, and since I was from Michigan, I could relate to that and we talked a bit.

I finally left about 3:30, and even then passed a couple of folk who were heading out.  Big day, which resulted in the last “first” (clever, eh?), that being that I had 53 visitors!!  A personal best.

Feeder’s note again:  A common day at the chapel during the summer would be about 20 to 25 guests

Question of the Day:  “How much of this is original?”  Polite answer (only the foundation Ma’am)

Mortal Situation:

Okay I can't help but including a concluding food note:  I was over in Leonardtown today tracking down that darned charcoal chimney (score! – more to come) and went into the McKay’s next to the Ace Hardware.  Lately when I am home for lunch I have gravitated to a sandwich of (Boars’ Head) Mortadella and baby swiss cheese.  Knowing McKay’s carried Boar’s Head at this location (Hollywood Road location carries Deitz and Watson) I went in to replenish the larder.  Got to the deli counter and the young lady said the usual “may I help you”?  Yes, I would like a half pound of BH Baby Swiss, and also Mortadella.   Excuse me, what was that?  Mortadella.  I have never heard of that!.   Well, it’s kind of like bologna (don’t tell the Italians that!) with little globs of white stuff (fat) in it.  Blank stare.  Eventually she reached into the case and brought out a little roll of Pancetta… This?  Nope.  So I prowled the case a bit and couldn’t see it.  She asked her fellow worker and received the same “Never heard of it”.. and sort of turned to me with that “look”.  At this point I spied a little glossy Boar’s Head brochure and mercifully thumbing through that I found it listed (and pictured).   Showed it to the young ladies… That!.   I’ll be darned.  We don’t carry it (statement of the obvious at this point).  They said they don’t carry every BH product, depending on demand.  They would have ordered it for me if I wished.  No thanks…  The Baby swiss was fine. (they do carry it at Giant)

So I came home and will now get

DFD



No comments: