Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I’m just wild about Harry...



Browne’s that is..  we had planned to meet some traveling friends for brunch Sunday at Harry Browne’s in Annapolis as they were going to be passing through.  Unfortunately, they had to change schedule, but MFO and I went anyway because: a) we had errands along the route, and b) we do like the place.  So first stop was at Wentworth’s in Prince Frederick to load up on bird seed as the gold finches, while nicely DFD, are eating us out of house and home.  So did that, and proceeded to Annapolis for a nicely civilized lunch.  What we didn’t know was that it was “Plebe Weekend” for the Naval Academy.  Meaning the place was CRAWLING with sharply dressed “middies” in their fresh crisp whites, usually accompanied by at least three generations of family there to see son/daughter/grand of each, maybe grand join the Academy.  Meaning that parking was a joke.  I dropped MFO at the restaurant on State Circle to secure the table, and then I had a hellish fifteen minute tour of the area looking for a space.  Me, along with about a hundred others.  I finally found one, only to discover it was “residents only” and you had to have a sticker.  I noticed that all the other cars parked there exhibited the sticker so meekly pulled out.  The only parking ticket I have had in recent memory was in Annapolis when we arrived at the (expired) meter about 5 minutes late.  

Finally, a gentleman in front of me approached his parked car, bags in hand and I darted in behind him, only mildly impeding traffic.  After futzing around for a bit, he lit the burners and left, and I pulled in.  MFO in her wisdom (and memories of last time) had brought along a pouch of quarters plus other loose change.  In Annapolis, one quarter in the meter (yes, even on Sunday) gets you seven (what did you say, Feeder?) yes, seven minutes!. The next deposit (total fifty cents) raises the ante to fifteen minutes, and to save you the math, that is two dollars per hour.  Figuring we would need at least a couple of hours, the meter gobbled the whole pouch plus my pocket full of dimes and nickels.

Okay, end of frustration.  About ten minutes of walking found me at Harry Brownes, and I entered the cool interior, with white table cloths, crystal and silver, and that somehow just right tin ceiling.  I spied MFO at a nice little two top on the raised platform, and made my way toward her.  

Unnoticed by me, I was followed to the table by (what turned out to be) Larry, and upon seating his first words were “I’ll bet you would like a drink”.  No silliness, just that.  Yes, why yes, I believe I would.  Given the time of day and the sixty miles between us and home, I opted for wine.  He said a complimentary glass of wine, champagne, or Mimosa came with each entrée order.  I asked for a chardonnay, and MFO a Sauvignon Blanc.  I asked if they were house wines.  His reply was: “I think I can do a little better than that”.  I ended up with a very nice glass of Talbott Kali-Hart, and MFO’s a Ponga New Zealand.  Upon delivery, he just said I’ll let you wind down a little bit and left (our menus remained closed).  No “are you ready to order?”,  just a courteous departure.   Nice. 

It being Sunday, they did have a buffet which (according to later conversation with Larry) contained all the usual stuff, eggs, meats, seafood (not sure if there were oysters), waffles, smoked salmon display, and an omelet station.  MFO thought an omelet would be nice, but unfortunately it didn’t appear on the a la carte menu.  It had four variations of Eggs Benedict, classic, crab, smoked salmon, and steak plus a wrap, a Panini, and a burger, along with a selection of salads.

Given my walking tour of the city, along with a general aversion to buffets, we decided to do the a la carte.  We devised a little plan, so when Larry came back to the table MFO said:  “I see you don’t have an omelet on the menu”.  I was in hopes of a response of “No we don’t, but I would be glad to get you one from the Buffet”.  The omelet maker was within fifteen feet of our table.  I don’t think that would be unreasonable.  What we got was “No we don’t, I don’t have a good answer for you”.  Understandable, but still…  So she got the smoked salmon Eggs Bene, and I did the steak version.  Upon finishing my wine, he caught my eye from across the room, raised an eyebrow, and soon another glass was resting by my plate.

You might notice I have dwelled on service to this point, and for good reason.   While food is certainly important, the enjoyment of same can be highly influenced by the associated service.  We came away impressed with the service, and maybe partially because we sort of clicked with Larry.  As for the food, it was very good.  I took a picture of my steak eggs benedict, but upon looking at it, I am not going to include it because it was after a couple of bites, and with poached eggs, things degrade pretty fast.  Speaking of poached eggs both our plates had perfectly poached versions, obviously done in the classic (and proper) method of breaking the egg directly into boiling water.  The inside was creamy yellow, the whites were just firm and they tasted, well, like eggs.  None of those little cup things, but a nice egg.  Have you ever tried poaching eggs that way?  I don’t have much luck.  And the Hollandaise sauce was obviously freshly made, no skin, it was bright and tasty..

A pleasant brunch, wish our friends could have joined us..  Next time.. and there is still the Vin 909 recommendation to check out.

Our other task did have something to do with food, and was engendered by this picture from the recent  Brew and BBQ event at the fairgrounds.  I prowled around the “pro’s” and that little journey deserves a posting by itself but came across this..

Not so much for the equipment, but the bag of charcoal.  When I mentioned it to the FOJ’s who are both pretty good around a grill, they both agreed that Rockwood was one of the best charcoals to use.  Silly me still uses Kingsford, lighter fluid, and a common Weber.  Both of them have graduated to Big Green Eggs, fire starter cubes, chimneys, and use the hardwood charcoal exclusively.  So I decided to see if I could find Rockwood, and turns out that it is available in Edgewater, on the way home from Annapolis at an Ace (Hardware) lawn and garden shop.   Sure enough we stopped there and I now have a bag to try..  Reports to follow..

And I did have a lead off piece about the vagaries of technology, but to save us both time, I’ll make that next post.

And tonight we are going to try to re-kindle an old tradition a few of us had, a variation on “Boys Night Out”, called "Foie Gras Night".  Reports to follow.

For which I will have to be


DFD

No comments: