Tuesday, June 21, 2016

surfacing again


Well, I’m baaaaacccckkk, at least temporarily.  First of all thanks to all of you who took a moment to send cataract good wishes and experiences in my direction,   it certainly helps.

The first (left) eye went well and you veterans are all correct.  I never knew what I was missing.  I think I put it in facebook, and it’s a bit overstated, but did you know there are buildings on the Solomons?  And now I can tell the difference between Navy and black..  Both feet can have the same color sock.
Next Monday (27th) the second (right) eye will be taken care of.  I am glad I don’t have three, it will be good to have this behind me.  (Side story: this morning I went up to Charlotte Hall to see Dr. Whitten for my week after checkup.   I told him that I was glad I didn't have three eyes, to which he responded quickly "I wish you did!"  - clever guy)

Anyway, a return to normal Feederdom, with a small rant (or two) and then some actual food related content!

Rants:

   1.  I don’t use Twitter much, kind of prefer a facebook existence in the social media world, but it seems to be the preferred method of communication with several of the sports folk, like “Mike and Mike” and various athletes.  So I go over there occasionally.   Do you have this trouble?  I NEVER know how to see the latest tweet(s) first.  I get some “while you were away” screen with stuff from last month, or the latest tweet shown is from four days ago.  I even googled “latest tweets first” and got a bunch of sites wanting me to download some plug in.  Nope..

    2.   To fight the demons in the night, I listen to late night sports talkers, and occasionally the conspiracy folk.  One of the popular commercials is from a company oddly enough called "Wise"  that advertises food with at 25 year shelf life, I guess so you can survive an alien or government attack on your liberty.  Anyway, they sling around the term “gourmet”, as in “just add water, and your family can dine on delicious gourmet food”.   Just add water?  Gourmet?  Craziness!  I was almost tempted to order my “free sample” just to see what you get with water added gourmet, but decided against it.

  3.  And while I’m sort of on sports, I am SO glad that game seven of the NBA playoff was last Sunday night. Not necessarily because of the game, but HOPEFULLY it will end weeks and weeks of speculation on such weighty topics as “who will come off the Cavs bench?”  Should they start?  Is LeBron the greatest player of all time?  (Cavs fans: Yes;  Warrior fans” No) and the inevitable desire to feed the “best” mentality by endless comparisons of MJ and LBJ.  Nope, as usual we gotta settle “who’s number one”  can’t be just two (okay) great players, somebody has to be better than somebody.  At least maybe after a day or two we can move on to other sports, like the NCAA world series, the various Soccer cups being competed for,  soon “The (British) Open”.  At least we don’t have to listen to the whiney Cleveland (we never win championships) fans. 

   4.    Felt good for DJ winning the US open, and thank God he didn’t have to go through the agony of another “penalty” debacle.  Apparently the USGA is trying hard to emulate the NBA and NFL (“you might have a penalty stroke, but we’re not going to tell you until you finish”)  good grief. 


Whew!  Okay back to food.

As i said, I listen to a lot of radio, and besides the water added gourmet one, have you ever heard the one(s) for Jimmy John’s (Gourmet) sandwiches?  they’re kind of cute as they do various riffs on how fast they deliver.  Apparently sub shops are like pizza joints, you can’t have enough of them. Well, somehow Jimmy John’s joined our burgeoning group of chains and slipped into town and opened yet another outlet for sandwiches/subs near us. It's in the little shopping center across from the WaWa that contains the Sonic and Bird Store. MFO and I were in the area patronizing the CVS pharmacy (as we do more and more often it seems) and I noticed the store.  It was near lunch time, so I figured what the heck, let’s go and check it out.    So we went in.

Got the chorus of “Welcome to Jimmy John’s!” and tried to absorb the situation.  Very institutional, lots of stainless steel, and cases.   The menu is quite limited with only a few options and split into 8”and “Giant” sub sandwiches, which are “Twice the meat and cheese” and pretty much the same sandwiches.  Also some sides like extra meat or cheese (at a buck and a half).


They don’t use the “build your own” approach (a la Subway) but ingredients are described on the menu Big John: (Medium rare choice roast beef, mayo, lettuce and tomato) which is what I asked for (at $5.59) and took the “upsale” proposal to go to a Number 10 on the Giant Side which gave me a full ¼ pound of the beef and cheese.  Okay fine.  I THINK she made it from “Scratch” but very quickly I got handed a neatly rolled sandwich



So I came home and un-wrapped the little devil.



Well, I have to tell you there was nothing distinguishing about the sandwich.   The bread was dry, no crunch to the crust, the beef did have a bit of flavor, but seemed “tired” if that is a culinary term..  And the (provolone) cheese would be suitable for reading a newspaper through



I don’t think I would make a special trip for another


Maybe they go too fast,  speed over quality?  And they put the coming to be over used word "gourmet" in their name?  not by me..

And I was going to add another section on sandwiches, but you’re probably tired by now.  It was going to tell you an interesting story on how this:


Became this


In the Feeder Test Kitchen.

And I didn’t really have to be

DFD



No comments: