Thursday, January 25, 2018

One of these days....


I’m sure this has happened to you.  You’re driving from somewhere to home, and you pass a restaurant and say: “we gotta stop there sometime!”, and you just keep driving.  Well upon returning from Johns Hopkins yesterday we came upon one such place that has always haunted us:




Situated just before the bridge (southbound) over the South River to Edgewater. Have heard some fairly good reviews on FB from some reliable sources, so by golly we stopped!  I had my first followup since Hopkins, and by the time we finished, it was a bit past lunch time, but after sitting in waiting rooms, getting some blood drawn we figured, “what the hell, this time we DO stop” and we did.  As a quick aside, I have to admit the only good thing about my medical adventures is that I qualify for a blue hang tag, and get to park close so my walking is limited.  And i also hasten to add we do not abuse it.  

So we hung the tag, on the MOMSTER, and went inside.  It was about maybe 1:30 and the place was in between the noon and evening rush.  That is really a nice time to be at a restaurant.  I used to feel funny, but now it is very pleasant.  Often you see the staff have their kids there, relaxing and maybe having a meal together, and it’s fun.  No hustling, pushing tables, “are you done with that?”. Very calming which at this point was useful.

The interior is pleasant and open overlooking the river.  They have some very nice fishes on the center divider which MAY be a buffet, but maybe not.  White tablecloths are always proper.  The menu offered a good selection of stuff both sea and land. Including those Naan pizzas.


 I got a richly deserved glass of chardonnay (Canyon Road, as it turned out, but who cares at this point), and then began my search through the menu selections trying to guess what might be a lower sodium choice (passing up the four cheese bacon flatbread)  Sigh.  Finally decided the crab cake had a pretty good chance as it was sided by wild rice and grilled beans.  MFO selected a “Caprese Salad”.

Meanwhile we enjoyed the nice view of the marina and the boats there.  All of a sudden we noticed a fog bank advancing (maybe on little cat feet)



It crept up the river (on its feet) and even tried to invade the land


Must have been pretty rare as all the staff rushed to the windows with their phones.  Like we always say, there’s always something going on on the water… About this time, the food came out, my cake of crab and its friends.



As you can see, it was very nice lump crab meat, however I didn’t think it had an over-abundance of flavor.  But hey, I wasn’t canned corn and food like material from Hopkins and I rather enjoyed it.  Amazingly, the beans were good, I guess the Feeder will have to learn to love vegetables.  BUT, I hasten to add, if you ever find me extolling the virtues of Spouts, call the home, I’m off my rocker! MFO’s salad did contain the necessary ingredients to be called Caprese, but not quite in the guise expected.



Service remained attentive but not intrusive, maybe evidence of the lull.  Was kind of fun to see the server and barkeeps kids running around, pretty well behaved.  Family stuff. 

I think the venue is worth a visit, prices are not punishing, although two 6oz. crab cakes ask $40, for dinner, and would not be worth it to me.  Oh, and I would ask for the wine list, not just a “glass of…..” not real smart.  But as I enter the world of dietary restrictions, I have to get used to maybe not the Béarnaise sauce.  Maybe I can splurge once in a while. 

A learning process.

The project:


No, the Lunar lander did not get confused and wind up in the Feeder’s living room!   For my Christmas, the family combined resources and with a little personal help, I have my long wished for weather station!  It is finally assembled but not yet powered.  That should happen in a couple more days.  It is a Davis Vantage Pro 2, and provides more data than you can imagine.   Heat index, relative humidity, rain data, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction and on and on.  Once it is sending data, the console will be activated to receive same.   For another “few” quid I can get software to have it also talk to the computer.  I’ve done a little reading, and I may be able to become a station on the Weather Underground!  Have found people that are willing to install it on the roof of the digs. 

My home visiting nurse (another story for another time) after I told her what it is, she said, “why would you need that?  You can just look outside and tell if it is raining”.  Some people just don’t get it..


Medical corner

Many people have been so kind to think of me, and wish for the best, which is much encouraging and appreciated.  I think I am doing better, can do more around the house but am still wed to the oxygen source(s).  the pulmonologist is working on the meds and dosages, and hopes for more improvements as time goes by.  I am constantly reminded that there are people with far more serious stuff than I have at present.  Certainly is life altering, but one can adjust..apparently will never “be better”, but can live a relatively enjoyable existence.   Just not much sodium… arrggghhhhh!

And despite trailing hoses and puffing oxygen concentrators, I will endeavor to


DFD

No comments: