Friday, May 29, 2009

Happy Saturday! -- No, Wait.....

Old patterns die hard. Yesterday was my second day “back on the job”, and concluded my obligation for the week. So this morning, after I got up, I was puttering around and suddenly remembered that I had to go to the bank. “Holy Smokes! I better get going, it’s going to close at noon!” Got as far as racing for the shower before I remembered that today was actually Friday, not Saturday. Of course the day after your last day of work is Saturday! Decades ingrained. And, along the way, I discovered yet another reason to return to work after you have retired. There is nothing like that sweet feeling of “By God, I don’t have to get up today!”. Yes, if you’re retired, you can say that every day but somehow doing it every day lessens the thrill of it. Food for thought...

oh, here's another reason to return to work after retirement:




Moving on, tonight I’m attending a little (for members and volunteers only) program at Sotterley that will feature the story of the last person to “own” it, Mabel Ingalls. Her daughter and others will share their memories. I know nothing of her, so it will be a learning experience for me. I’ll take notes.

And the fact that I am going now to that at all is a result of another indication of the brain going (further) to mush. One of the local eateries here was going to have a “demonstration dinner”, and I signed up and subsequently was asked if I would like to offer some comments about the food. Wow! Great!, oh darn it, since it was Friday night, I wouldn’t be able to go to that Sotterley program, but hey, food is king. So I was sitting at my newly assigned work station Wednesday morning, and got a call from a friend who said “Hey! Why weren’t you at the dinner last night?” what dinner?. “the demo dinner” with cold chills developing I answered because it’s this Friday. “nope” last night. Somehow my non-functional brain had changed the 26th to the 29th. Damn it. As Mick might say – “what a drag it is getting old”.

DFD

No comments: