Thursday, May 7, 2009

rain, rain, GO AWAY!!!

Enough already! I think I detected some webs forming between my toes. Every freakin’ day it rains. The grass grows two feet tall, the garden is sodden, you can't do nothing!! This morning the sun poked through for a minute and the next think I know, it’s raining again. Speaking of rain, I have a yearly ritual. I watch the rain gage in the flower bed all summer, leave it out too late, it freezes and cracks and becomes useless. I go to Lowe’s get a new one and begin the cycle again. This has gone on for years. So this year I went to said emporium to obtain this years victim, and the shelf was empty. So I waited a couple of days, went back, and it was still empty. So I go to the (their term) “Customer Service” desk and ask if I could talk to somebody who knows the inventory in garden. Sure, the young lady replied, and reached for the phone causing the whole store to hear; “Customer needs assistance in seasonal aisle 23” and was told than an associate would be right over. After 7 minutes alone in aisle 23, I went back, and she said something akin to darn him, I’ll just call and reached for a cell phone. Sure enough on my way back, I ran into a nice young man who said how are you sir? (I think Lowe’s has really emphasized greeting customers lately – don’t know where anything is, but a nice greeting). Anyway he peered at the empty shelf with “rain gage” tag on it, stared at the boxes on the shelves above, finally got the ladder and went up there, all to no avail. No rain gage..how hard is this?



Passing Scene:

While sitting here filling the page with drivel, staring out the window(s) has resulted in seeing: A lady mallard crash landing in the yard to grub around under the feeder; Two F-18’s going round and round; an Osprey cruising by (the non-V22 variety); numerous squirrels bounding about; several birds visiting the feeders; “Daddy Frank” running his crab line (without much success apparently); a pair of Canada Geese, and lastly a small turtle roaming around – as much as a turtle can roam. Which means, I suppose, they will be crossing the roads now. Be alert!! Stop and help, or at least pause traffic..

Was watching news this morning on channel 4 (home of Pat Collins), and just before Today came on they ended with a report that today was “odd day” referring to the 05/07/09 date today, and said “it only happens six times a century! And it won’t happen again until……..2015? no, wait, how about 13?” Finally just before leaving the air they figured out it will happen in two years. I guess the 6 times a century is because there is no 15th month. We just happen to be living when those 6 times will occur.

I never have the camera when I need it. I fetched up behind one of those gigantic green trash trucks yesterday (from the new “bay area” folks), and on the tail end it had a big sign saying “We Cater Weddings”. You can’t make this stuff up, folks..

Have a good day – we’ll start thinking about warm weather wines… don’t think much “pairs” with rain..

DFD

No comments: