Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In the Good Old....

Well, the unofficial start of summer has come and past, so welcome to unofficial summer. Sure doesn’t look like it this morning.. with MFO in WI, just a few this, that’s, observations and one phase change..

The weekend started off with seeing of the airshow practice on Friday, done from a boat anchored off the end of the runway. It’s a different show out there, at least the Blue Angels portion. A friend was kind enough to let me use a couple of his pictures, much better than my point and shoot (which is about to be replaced, by the way – it’s only money)







Pretty nice, eh?

Aside from the airshow, there was a plethora of sporting events to observe, at one point had to toggle between golf, Indy, and the hockey game (go wings), and I think I sprained my clicker finger. In the course of those events, I got another quote to add into the ever growing athletic category of pithy sayings. They were interviewing some young baseball player recently brought up to I think the Nats (boy, there’s an honor), and they asked how he liked it (or some other inane question) and he said: “My goal was to just have fun out there”. Gee that’s nice; I sure would like to own a team where all the guys are just out there to “have fun”. Whoopee! Another pitch in the seats! Wow! That was fun!... Hey buddy, you’re out there to win, not just for your own personal recreation.

The things you see in magazines..The latest issue of Gourmet is a “Travel Issue” where they highlight destinations around the world, and of course talk about the food. One of the articles is about “cruises” and what the various lines offer in the way of food. It also announces the launching of Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas, as the largest cruise ship afloat. Get this, it will have seven restaurants “including one for 3,056 served by a waitstaff of 550”. Boy that sounds like a great vacation doesn’t it?

I decided to conclude the weekend by doing some brats according to “Bill’s Brats” method. So, off I go to Shoppers to procure the main ingredient (brats). There is no other than Johnsonville, make no mistake. Wisconsin made, ya you betcha. They have had a great product for years (?). Apparently they have decided to improve upon success. Now, besides the standard brat (basic), there are now “Beer N’ Brats, Italian, Hot Italian, Spicy” and so forth. Apparently wise consumers took all the plain ones, so I had to settle for the Beer variety. After pre-cooking in Guinness Stout and Onions, finishing on the grill and then refreshing in the Guinness for a few minutes, I don’t think I got that “hearty beer flavor” they advertised.

Phase Change

After settling into retirement a bit and enjoying doing nothing – I am starting today to work part time for a little outfit that supports NAVAIR. So, you may see the old horse again somewhere on the base…

Now maybe I can afford to

DFD

No comments: