Monday, June 22, 2009

Whew!!

Well, the busy weekend has come and gone. Most of it was spent in the vicinity of St. Mary’s city between the various concerts and the big hoopla on Saturday for the “birthday bash”. I spent most of my day by the re-constructed brick Chapel of 1667, being an information guy in the morning, and a “docent” in the afternoon. It’s always interesting to talk to people about the chapel, its history, and reconstruction. Some are interested in the historical part and others want to know “how did you do that?”. I have long learned that you don’t “make something up” when questions are asked just to look smart, because there are a lot of people who know far more history that I do. It isn’t hard.

Anyway, as I was sitting by the walkway in the morning, I overheard casual conversation of the people passing by. Although this sounds incredulous, I think I did hear this from one of the parents talking to his young son: “and this is what the Chapel looked like when the settlers arrived!!”. Of course you don’t have a recorder, but I think that was the gist of it..

Before the visitors came



Then, they came!!




Now that the interior is complete with walls and windows and such, the acoustics are interesting. Speech is very difficult to understand, but as you remember music is wonderful. As part of the Birthday events, we had two violinists, a mother and daughter play three little sets during the afternoon. Boy, was that nice. They played relatively period music and it was beautiful.



Then the rains and wind came to visit, and did a number on our tents:



Yesterday a planned sail on one of the tall ships had to be canceled because of the high winds. We did get to tour the ships and I visited the Sultana and the Kalmar Nyckel out of Delaware. The crew told the story of the ship and its history.




but of course not everybody is interested in history!!



The rest of sunday was spent watching the golfers deal with Bethpage Black!!

DFD

No comments: