Monday, June 8, 2009

With Apologies to Mr. Clemens....

First, the “errata” section. The feeder humbly admits that reports of the demise of Bollywood were greatly exaggerated. They in fact continue as purveyors of (so I’m told) very good Indian Food in their little spot in San Souci. In driving by, I mistakenly looked at the vacant bay next to them and assumed it was they. And, you know what they say about “assume”. As a little bonus, rumor has it that a “dessert restaurant” might appear in that slot. Interesting concept. A niche place I guess.

And, speaking of Bollywood, I have never partaken of their fare, and in fact, I generally steer clear of Indian food. I know that the devotees of that particular cuisine speak in terms of layers of taste, sweet followed by hot, all that stuff, but on some occasions that I have experimented, I have had some rather unpleasant results. Somehow that food seems to attract people that like to see how “hot” they can eat something, and generally the restaurants seem to cater to that aversion. So, it’s not that I don’t like Indian food (I do enjoy some curries), it’s the fear of consequences that keeps me away. It’s sort of like Sushi, I need a guide who understands my tastes. How’d we get on that?

And, while we’re on the subject of openings and closings, I see from their site that the Ruddy Duck Brewery (and grill) on the Solomons is slated to open this week. Long awaited, it will be interesting to see how it turns out. The operations will be handled by veteran restaurateurs, so hopes can be relatively high. According to the site, they will have 8 brews available.…

Our “weekend” began with a quick stop in Leonardtown on first Friday for drinks and apps, a quick visit to Heron’s Way gallery to see one of the artists who we know, and then on to another obligation. Busy busy. Saturday we attended a wedding for the son of a colleague, followed by a reception. The feeder will keep his policy of not reviewing food at a friend’s event. It was a nice affair.

Interspersed with all of the above was multiple trips to the back yard to keep the gray lagoon free of grass in the works, backflushing, skimming, brushing, all those fun tasks that are not apparent to the people who frolic in pools. As of this morning, our resident ducks were there to thank me for providing a place to swim, and well, you know what else they contribute. Sigh

So yesterday afternoon after watching Mr. Federer attain his goal of a career grand slam, I decided to venture out to obtain some luncheon material. With time a bit of a factor I went for the closer Shopper’s (and Dietz and Watson) rather than drive to Giant (and Boar’s Head). Approaching the Deli counter I had to wait while the person in front of me got three orders of cheeses and meats. Why do people wait until they have their half a pound of turkey breast in hand before pondering if they want something else? Ummm, yes, I guess I’d like three-quarters of a pound of swiss, no wait, Monterrey Jack – what do you think honey?....Okay the swiss. Swiss in hand; Gee, do you think we should get some ham for tommy? Sheesh!!! Know what you want! Anyway, yet another aggravation of a deli counter ensued when I smartly ordered a half pound of Pastrami, eyeing a nice thick package in the case. Okay, she says and starts to rummage below the counter eventually producing the last end of a rather tired piece of Pastrami. As slicing commenced, the pieces became smaller and smaller until the last was about the size of a 50 cent piece. Should I have said “Could you open a new one please?” Probably. Anyway on a whim I cruised past the bread aisle and to my surprise was able to score the last loaf of Pepperidge Farms Original White! Somewhat buoyed by that, I scurried home and began to fabricate the sandwich. Now, as alert readers will recall from previous rants, I am a (reluctant) fan of Pepperidge Farms breads. But, why, oh why, do they insist on that second wrapper? About 1 mm thick, has anybody in the world ever been able to open it correctly at the seams without having it rip halfway down the loaf rendering it useless anyway? What are they thinking? After that expected outcome I assembled the sandwich which, due to the size of the pastrami was rather like putting together a jig saw puzzle. Fitting the little slices of meat on the bread so that they were evenly distributed (another sandwich rule is that the thickness must be uniform crust to crust – no mound of stuff in the middle). Anyway it proved to be a tasty sandwich and I settled in to watch everybody ahead of Tiger fold up shop missing 3 footers all over the place. Although to be fair, if you shoot a 65 good things might happen.

And yes, I know that 04 05 06 07 08 09 thingy.

DFD

No comments: