Thursday, March 17, 2011

Begorrah...

and the wearin' of the green (DFG?)

Hope all have/are/will enjoy St. Patrick’s Day. After our trip to Ireland last year we have had a more special interest in things Irish (except those who live in South Bend). I have read several books about Irish history and its trials and tribulations. If you want to drive yourself nuts, get one of the books and try it. What a history of this faction, that clan, Normans, Vikings, English, Scots, etc. No wonder they “takes to the drink” as they say. Anyway, there are lots of celebrations going on around here, and after a morning of sorting books for tomorrow’s book fair, I decided to stop off at D.B. McMillans, for a wee pint and maybe a bite. Quite a few folks were there in varying amount of green dress, including those currently fashionable “Dr. Suess” style tall floppy hats. The staff was also decked out in beads, flashing things, and goofy headwear. Quite the place. An Irish (?) musician was playing in the corner and I listened to a couple of songs. He spoke a fair amount between songs, and I believe he had an accurate accent. Pretty standard stuff, including the famous song about a sleeping Scot, kilt, and a blue ribbon (which I can't repeat here because this is a family column). But, he was fun. They were serving Guinness in plastic cups, and I had a couple and a corned beef sandwich. Of course you view yourself as an instant expert if you’ve been to St. James Gate in Dublin, but I really think what I was served today was inferior to the “real thing”



Oh, in an episode of “There is a God, Volume II”. I was leaving Leonardtown on the “Hollywood Leonardtown Road”. As locals know, the speed limit along by the first section of the road by CSM and the Library is 30 mph. I know this seems like walking, but that’s the law, and a lady two cars ahead of me was obeying the law. The car between us was another of those little windup cars with a huge exhaust pipes and a hand made wing on the trunk. The driver was taking issue the the law abiding citizen’s respect for the regulations as he swerved left, then right, slowed down, zipped up, the behavior we’re all too familiar with. Well, somewhere along by SMECO, the lady turned off. Pent up frustration apparently boiled over as the car rapidly accelerated, tailpipe buzzing. Of course by this time the speed limits increase to 40 or so, but I think that was a small percentage of the actual velocity attained by the little vehicle, and it disappeared around a corner far ahead of me. Then, when I finally got up to that bend, through the trees I saw flashing red and blue lights. Saint Patrick, thank you…have one on me…

And if you go out tonight, remember to be responsible (as they say) and

DF(something).

and at least keep them on...

No comments: