Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Muddling Monday, and Large Tuesday...

Muddling Part:

Yesterday I went down to St. Mary’s College to attend a faculty seminar entitled: ““Last Minute Date Raptures” Cookies, Transcendence, and Poetry”. It was presented by Karen Anderson, a member of the faculty in the English Department. Hey, anything with food in the title attracts my attention. So I settled into the (old) back row in the Glendenning Annex. I think there were approximately 30 people there between (I think) faculty and students, with the preponderance of students. I listened hard, and took notes where I could for approximately the hour of the presentation and questions. And, after all that time I will freely admit that I pretty much have no idea what she was talking about. In fact, I’m a little reluctant to speculate because I probably will be so far off the mark and maybe in the process expose myself to ridicule (mercifully, the chances of anybody there seeing this are pretty slim to non-existent). However, as near as I could figure out, she was talking about how early cookbooks (late 19th and early 20th) and recipes denigrated the “housewife” and “housekeeping” in general, and reflected the attitude that women weren’t organized enough (or capable?) enough to perform the tasks. So, they were filled with "how to's" and helps. She presented a page from the first (?) Betty Crocker cookbook called “Special Helps”, which led off with a poem:

If you’re tired from overwork,
Household chores you’re bound to shirk.
Read these pointers tried and true
And discover what to do.


Then there were several little boxes with “tips”, like: Harbor pleasant thoughts while working. It will make every task lighter and pleasanter; or: Do head work while you’re dusting, sweeping, washing dishes, paring potatoes, etc. Plan family recreation, the garden, etc. She then went on I suppose on how this relates to society, worked in some Dickenson poetry about housework and domestic work which she analyzed, using terms like “watcher” and “doer”. Most of the time I didn’t have a clue. Then she read a few poems of her own, which I believe will be published in a little volume called “receipts”, the historic term for recipes.. She even talked about those words and their deeper meanings…Most of her poems were free verse (I think that's the term), but again, they sort of went over my head. No mental images invoked...

I guess I was in the distinct minority because most of the audience (especially the faculty) listened with half closed eyes, nodding knowingly at points, with little “know it all” smiles. During the Q&A session, one person mentioned Cook’s Illustrated as an example of “we’ve done all the research, and here’s the best way, you don’t have to think”. I don’t think I’ve ever thought of it in those terms. At the end, I was kind of bummed out. Not sure why. But it was an interesting hour or so. Just another lesson in how little you know about some things..

back to food!

On more familiar ground, today is “Fat Tuesday” (Mardi Gras) the last day when you can indulge in excess before the rules of Lent kick in tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) and last until Easter. One of those occasions where I’m sort of glad I’m not religious. Every day is Fat Tuesday! Anyhow, most of the Churches around here hold dinners, announced by hand painted signs stuck in the ground by the road. Lots of pancakes featured. One of the local Churches not far from us also had a tag line: “New Orleans Food”, which could mean anything. At any rate that’s where MFO and I will be going, and I’m taking along the trusty Canon so there might be a story tomorrow…not sure what is appropriate, but we will attempt to be

DFD

Rest well, Buddy (FOJTE's family pet and companion of many years)

No comments: