Friday, March 11, 2011

There is a God...

Today as I was guiding the flutter mobile into the gas depot to purchase product at $3.45 per unit, I noticed a local gendarme with lights flashing also turning after me into the driveway of the facility. I purchased my fuel and when I was leaving the arm of the law was still there, head down writing what I assumed was a ticket. And you know what? The car ahead of the officer was one of those annoying little black buzz cars, and (Yes!) atop the car was one of a little tent with the name of a locale Pizza purveyor. How many times has one of these people cut you off, passed you on the right, often laughing at the speed limit, or generally behaving poorly? Sometimes (not nearly enough) justice is served!! Oh, the name of the pizza seller? I probably shouldn’t say, but the owner prides himself as being “in the House!”

I did stop in today at our newest liquor/wine/beer store (Twist) in the location next to McDonald's across from San Souci since they were having a tasting. They are the second (?) occupant hoping to make a go of this particular type of retail store. Although they have been open for a while, I had not been there despite being on my daily route to the digs. There were quite a few cars in the lot, and once inside there were a fair amount of people, mostly gathered around two tables doling out tastings of beer and wine. The beer was a Shiner, and the wines were from Maryland's Linganore Winery which features a lot of (non-grape)fruit wines – plum, strawberry, raspberry, and so forth. I’m sorry, I’m busy. Anyway, the space is quite large with shelves along the walls, a couple rows of racks in the middle. In the back is a large refrigerated room, which I briefly visited and found it pretty much too cold to peruse the beer. A quick survey revealed a pretty nice selection of Maryland Beers such as Heavy Seas, and Flying Dog. Wines are currently kind of limited to “popular” brands, such as Yellow Tail, with maybe a Layer Cake here and there. A fair amount of Maryland wines are on the shelves. Spirits are also available. We’ll see how they grow..

Today’s edition of our local paper, the Enterprise, besides featuring a (much more professional than mine) front page photo from the Fat Tuesday Dinner that MFO and I attended (but first covered in this space!), has some options for your upcoming St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Our local leader of things Irish, D.B. McMillan’s, will feature Guinness and Irish Music. Festivities will start at 11:00. I may do that with my leisure time and increased appreciation of Guinness (since I’ve visited the brewery at St. James Gate, Dublin)…. The same issue features a description of Saphron which now occupies the spaces in Prince Frederick vacated by Old Field Inn, who’s chef now occupies the spaces in Leonardtown vacated by the (first administration of the) Front Porch which originally occupied the spaces vacated by Corbel’s.. got it?

The usual Friday “to do” list is a bit vacant this week, although you can look at aforesaid newspaper for some of those dinners by VFW’s and so on. No, wait! MFO informs me you can bring your “Church Life in Southern Maryland” memorabilia to the Building A of the Leonardtown Campus of the College of Southern Maryland. It’s an effort to preserve stuff in the Southern Maryland Studies Center. Or, if you’re in the mood to be helpful, you can show up at the Leonardtown Library at ten, and help move books over to the Fairgrounds for the County’s premier book sale on the weekend of the 18th..

for that, you need to be

DFW(ork)

No comments: