Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday...

Well, here it is Friday, where I usually devote space to what’s going on in the land of Nothing to Do, but after today you will note (I think) these pages to go dark for the weekend because I’m about to leave to attend a district conference for our Rotary Club. It will be “interesting” to say the least. I’ll keep notes, and I’ve grabbed the camera.

But, I do want to relate a good experience MFO and I had last night. She had several historical associated meetings today and so arrived home hungry and nicely turned out. We waffled around a bit and finally decided to drive over the bridge and see what struck us. The Dry Dock was of course in my mind, but we instead opted to check out the back door at CD café.

Despite the usual cars lined up along street parking we were able to rest the Flutter Mobile in the surprisingly vacant parking lot behind the building. We were pleased to see that the “back door” was pretty much unoccupied and took a couple of seats at the bar. As an aside here, sitting at the bar in any venue that offers that option is generally rewarding.

After a skirmish with the Dry Manhattan, on the rocks with a twist, initially delivered with sweet vermouth, a cherry, and an eventual apology, the drink was successfully remade and served. And, after assuring the bar keep that the Gimlet was Gin, not Vodka, we were both satisfied. My mission is to make sure all bartenders in the county can make my dry manhattan.

Turning to the menu there are twenty two options for entrees. Pretty much any inclination can be accommodated, vegetarian, carnivore, salad, sandwich, it’s all there.

I ended up with a shrimp pancetta pasta dish, and MFO took the crusted catfish salad. Both were quite good. We were surprised and pleased to see Terry pop out of the kitchen to say hello. He’s another one of those chefs who just stay out of sight and do their job. I believe he started out at Guido’s in Lusby, did a stint at the Dry Dock and now has been here for a number of years.

By sitting at the bar, you always have a built in conversationalist, and we found out that the young (to us) lady keeping the bar has a historic home out near Morganza. So nice to see younger people with a sense of history.

Anyway it was a very pleasant evening that sort of came out of the blue. That’s the best kind. I would put the back door at the CD on your list, especially if it isn’t very crowded. Not much of a view, but fairly cozy and good things come out of the kitchen to your table or copper topped bar.


Other..

Blue Wind Gourmet is featured in this week’s Weekend section of the newspaper.

Celtic Festival weekend for all you wanna be Druids.

Larry Wilmore will close out Mark Twain Year (100th anniversary of death) with a program in the Gym at St. Mary’s College this evening.. free at eight. He’s a comedy writer so I’m told.

Plant sale and exchange tomorrow at Sotterley Plantation.

And although I would rather not tell you because you might take my seat, there will be a concert by the St. Mary’s college Chamber Singers in “my” chapel down at St. Mary’s City on Sunday night at 7.

And here I go

DFC(onference)

No comments: