Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stop!!

As hard as I know it will be, because you’re so eager to dive into the Feeder, stop reading right now! (If you haven’t already) go look at today's google’s doodle celebrating Les Paul’s birthday. I’ll bet you’ll be gone for a little while. It is very engaging. They’re so smart… Go on, I’ll wait right here..

Dum, de dum..........Welcome back! As it’s so miserably hot outside you probably don’t want to spend a whole lot of time on me, so we’ll be kind of brief (for me).

A quick rant…esoteric, but as usual it’s the little things that get you. Now that I’m retired, I often fix myself a sandwich here at the digs for lunch. Normally I get Boar’s Head deli meat, like corned beef, or some variety of chicken, and sometimes bologna. I try to steer away from anything that has that annoying little “skin” on the outside that you have to peel off to avoid getting it stuck in your teeth. Anyway, my beef (pun intended) is not with the filling, but with the “bread”. Why can’t somebody open a bakery around here that makes nice French Baguettes or Country Loaves? Yes I know there is the St. Louis Bread Company (Panera’s) and the Wildewood place (usually out of bread), but it’s kind of a pain to make special trips. So, I have done research on “commercial” breads and eventually settled on Pepperidge Farm’s Original White. It has some texture, is not wafer thin, and stands up to the mustard or whatever. Problem is, it never seems to be in the stores. When it is, I usually buy a couple of loaves and freeze one. More often than not, there is none on the shelves. So, yesterday being out of bread entirely and finding the cupboard bare in the store, I took little loaf of Dark Pumpernickel. I figured that a dark bread might have more substance than the plethora of “light”, “very thin” and (what a joke) “sandwich breads”. So, I got it home and did the usual struggle with the Pepperidge Farm double wrap, only to find an airy, pithy slice of dark something. It even tore the bread when trying to gently spread the (warm) butter. Wonder bread of the dark world. Sheesh…

Getting a jump on “to do”…

This Saturday there’s a couple of interesting opportunities being made available at Historic St. Mary’s City. On the culinary side there is “Colonial Cooking Challenge”. Don’t think we’ll see Bobby Flay for a throw down, but it will be a unique opportunity to learn about food preparation in the colonial times. Being held at the Godiah Spray Tobacco Plantation, the Spray family members will help you prepare your lunch, from building your own fire from scratch, to making a pie. How fun is that? A great insight as to how the first colonists got along. Starts at ten, and there’s a $20 fee for supplies which includes admission to the rest of the museum. To reserve, call 240.895.4489.

The Feeder would be there, except he is signed up for “Chapel Duty” out at the reconstructed Chapel. Which is great, because I’ll have a ring side seat for the other event Saturday, witnessing “Goats Vs. Aliens”! Little green men in suits? Nope, in this case the Aliens are non native, invasive plant species. They tend to “take over” the native plants (such as the colonists would have seen) and are a general nuisance and the Museum would like to be rid of them.. well… eco goats to the rescue!! Turns out the critters love to munch on the bad plants and that enterprising individual is going to bring his herd of goats to the “City” for battle Saturday (12 – 2) Monday (11 – 1). There will be light refreshments, including what else: Goat Cheese. How can you pass up an opportunity like that? Goats (like butterflies) are free. I’ll have the trusty Canon along to document (yes I’ll leave my post for a bit). My mind reels with scenarios..

So that’s about it for a Thursday.

Oh, the new folks down on St. George’s Island have dubbed the makeover “Island Bar and Crab House”. I have heard some encouraging words about the direction of food service. Stay tuned while you

DFD

No comments: