Friday, June 3, 2011

A tale of two lunches...and Friday??!!

Gosh another Friday…

Lunch One

I have oft extolled the pleasure of a good lunch and the benefits of taking a break in the day. I’m not talking about a work-a-day “grab and go” experience, but a chance to share some time with a friend, take your time, and hopefully enjoy food. Being “retired” affords me more chances to do this. So this week I had not one but two opportunities to lunch. The first was with a friend at CD Café on the Solomons. I don’t go there often, but it is a reliable source of above average food. I will still not forgive their “no reservations” policy, and there are a few understandable reasons for it, but they seem to be more for the benefit of the restaurant than its customers. So, even though we arrived at the little late lunch hour of one, we were forced to sit on the hard benches in the hall for about 15 minutes. And, I couldn’t help but noticing through the doors that there were quite a few vacated tables while we waited. I think maybe if they would employ somebody whose sole job it is to clear and clean, it would help to turn the tables faster. Making the servers bus the tables in addition to their main task slows things down. And when we were seated making the room full again it was quite noisy. The fact that there was so much hubbub going on somehow enables your conversation to remain private since the din is such you can’t hear what’s going on at the next table even though they are quite close. And while commenting on the spaces, I still don’t particularly care for the view of the street.

But, there is a reason that people sit on hard benches, put up with the noise and the (lack of) view, and it is the food that brings you back despite the aforementioned hassles. It’s not spectacular or innovative, but you can pretty well be assured that you will receive a good meal, and there are plenty of choices available on the menu (one might say too many) plus there are usually specials for first, second, and dessert courses. My friend chose an off the menu crab cake sandwich (hold the bread), and after waffling some, I settled on CD Chicken a staple on the menu for years. The only criticism that could be offered was that the side salad with the crab cake was kind of dry. My chicken was a plenty, breaded and crunchy outside with moist and juicy inside. The greens on my salad were nicely dressed with their green goddess dressing. As conversation flowed other customers were leaving (it was well after two now), and by the time we finished our key lime pie and cheesecake with coffee, we were the only table occupied save one of the servers whose wife and kid came in. We chatted for a bit more and left contented. Time to sit and chat and share is good.

Lunch Two

The second lunch was enjoyed at Café Des Artistes in Leonardtown. I don’t know why, but it wasn’t very crowded yesterday (Thursday), and once again by the time we left, the only other people in the place were staff, folding napkins and preparing for the dinner service. In my younger days, I would have been self conscious (for both lunches) by being the remaining table. I’ve gotten over that, and feel quite comfortable. Besides that, it is quiet, and you can have nice conversations. Since the last time I was there, the wall art has changed, some of the paint has been freshened, and I understand a new floor rug is on the way. But, it’s still kind of eclectically cozy (although the plastic flowers hanging from the ceiling are wearing old), but again, you know what you’re going to get and consistency is good. That applies to the menu which has been honed over the years (!) to a set of choices that have proven popular. There are always daily specials on the “pink sheet”. After nearly an hour of sharing this and that (plus a glass or so of wine) we did get to food, and we both selected “today’s quiche” and both a side Caesar. The quiche was mushroom, cheese, and spinach. Alert readers will remember that I have a thing about Caesar salads, and also know I’m a bit conservative. Don’t mess with success. Don’t “de construct”, don’t add shrimp or chicken, don’t use vinaigrette, don’t use fried polenta croutons, and for God’s sake anchovies are an essential ingredient. So, when I ordered I asked if chef could put a couple of anchovy filets on top. When I got the salad, it had sharp creamy dressing, lovely shredded parmesan, eatable pieces of romaine, and what my friend described as “a school of anchovies”. There must have been eight or nine of the salty little guys. A great salad, and the quiche was equally well prepared. Café is as close as we can get to a French restaurant down here, with some classic dishes, and always French approach to the cuisine. I think I can count on one hand the times I have been in there when Chef Loic was not in the kitchen. Always there, and that’s why it is consistent.

Friday Notes:

I am not going through the “to do” litany for the coming weekend. As I said, temps going up, schools are out, and there are less events. And, as (I hope) you know, next week will be the start of restaurant and wine weeks (go out and consume!) and there is plenty of publicity around about it.. Check it out. Today’s Enterprise pull out section “Weekend”, has a story about Chef’s American Bistro and Chef Ahmed, but also more information about the participating restaurants. They all will feature local stuff which is starting to roll in now.

Also in the newspaper there is another pull out called “Stay-Cation Guide ~ 101 things to see and do (and eat) this summer”. It’s a pretty good list of museums, parks, wineries, some eateries, and so forth. Good idea… As some will know MFO is a volunteer at the Historical Society housed in Tudor Hall in Leonardtown. So naturally I wanted to see if it was included. Sure enough it’s there as number 97 (I am not sure how the list was ordered). But, it’s at the end of the page, and the description stops in the middle of a word, and…… that’s it. Ads, then the end of the section. List stops half way through number 97 and goes no farther. Nice job folks..

Of special note is that today is First Friday in Leonardtown. Usual options of food and fun there..

Also note (in the link above) that there is a fund raising event to support on of our soup kitchens this Sunday, at two in the community room at the Brass Rail. Naturally there will be food related items for auction. Only twenty bucks

So, have a nice weekend figuring out something to do, and if dining figures in of course you will

DFD

No comments: