Thursday, October 13, 2011

Aretha, you got it right!

Chain, Chain, Chain; Chain of Fools -


Sometimes I don’t get it. Alert readers will know that I am a champion of locally owned, independent restaurants (with their challenge to deliver), small businesses, and keeping money locally. We even have a Restaurant Week supporting those same goals, and proclaim “Buy Local, Buy Local” from any available forum.  A mantra.

Our county government has established a Department of Land Use and Growth Management (LUGM), to take care of us. Their mission statement (ya gotta have a mission statement) is, and I quote:

“To enhance the quality of life for present and future generations through protection of the natural environment balanced with orderly growth, while ensuring our customers both guidance and effectiveness of the land use regulations.”

And part of their function is to grant permits for development to ensure that “orderly growth”. I suppose “orderly” is in the eye of the beholder. Many a woodlot has been felled in order to provide that growth. But, that is not for a poor food blogger to pontificate upon, although that pesky word “balance” doesn’t seem quite so evident anymore.  What does it mean in the food service world?

MFO went to their latest meeting the other night, and came home with the wonderful news that they have allowed that Texas LongHorn Steakhouse which will be built next to the Texas Road House, and praise be to God, Cracker Barrel is back in the game which will complete Restaurant Row on north 235. Let the celebrations begin!! And while we’re at it, let’s let Golden Corral to move into that recently vacated McDonalds building across from San Souci.

So we are adding yet three more “chains” into our local mix of restaurants. I suppose it will “enhance my quality of life”. Three more! How many more can we take? Which got me to wondering: How many restaurants (in this case defined as places where you can buy food) are there around here anyway? Short of getting in my car with a pad (which I may yet do), I went to our local tourism website which has a list of restaurants and did a little survey. I did a rough count of those listed, and separated them into “independents” and “chains”. I came up with roughly 80 in the independent category, and only about 20 in "out and out" chains. However, the list did not include places like McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, Checker’s, KFC, Wa Wa’s, Sheetz, and so forth which would considerably increase the chain count. Judging by the highly informal criteria of “how full are the parking lots?”, it seems that the mid range chains (OG, Texas whatever, Red Robbing) are not hurting for business.  Build it and they will come.

If I were considering opening a restaurant (which I have learned enough to never even contemplate), why would I fly in the face of the seemingly limitless endorsement of letting anybody with a giant corporate structure behind them move in? who’s going lend me money?

Okay, enough. I guess I am in the minority. It’s hard to keep the faith. I am not “you guys”; I do not love off site processed food; I care about the service of and the quality of food I eat; I don’t wear ball caps throughout my meal.  Food is not just fuel.

Hopefully Happier Note to end on:

Before I got depressed (does it show?) over the acceptance of more chains by LUGM, I had a nice experience yesterday. I got to go to the caterer for an upcoming social event and taste through the menu. We were treated to the whole menu from apps through dessert. I made some suggestions that were accepted by the caterer. That’s when food can supply pleasure.. it can be creative.

Okay, enough for the second time, and pressing on, remove your ball cap and find a good local restaurant with an interesting menu and show up


DFD

1 comment:

Eric said...

I'm a recent transplant to southern Maryland (from Atlanta), and I was so happy to find your blog when I moved up here last February. I, too, yearn for more independent restaurants up here. The variety of dining options is the main thing I miss about Atlanta. I'm continually amazed at how packed the Olive Garden parking lot is every single night.

What website did you use to arrive at your list of 80 restaurants? I feel like I can count the independent restaurants on my fingers, though admittedly, I'm new here.