Monday, October 3, 2011

Wrapping the Weekend....

A busy weekend for the flutters, and somehow most events were outside, which resulted in the Feeder getting a cold. Sometimes you don’t know how bad you feel until you start feeling good again. Crossed fingers, but somehow life seems more agreeable today.

We began the weekend by attending the Osprey Gala, the yearly event that opens “Blessing of the Fleet” weekend down on Colton’s Point. It’s usually fun and well attended, but as most of these things held “outside” under a tent. With the chilly rainy conditions, I think that’s what started the spiral into the cold. Anyway, we got there half way into the happy hour part, milled around, looked at the myriad of silent auction items, and only wrote our number on one. It was a “diary” transcribed from the original of a historical (name escapes me) person which MFO glommed on to. In the end, she was the only bidder (over the “seed” bid) so we have that.

Anyway, we finally sought out our table and found we had our usual spot just past the stage and a little bit off the speakers. Fortunately MFO knew one of the couples at the table so it wasn’t complete strangers. They had friends with them, so that left two vacant seats at our table. Pretty soon, to our surprise State Senator Roy Dyson came and sat down in one of them. He’s a great guy to talk to so conversation was easy. Hurricane damage, flooding, all neighborly stuff. That left one vacant seat next to me and it remained so until after the first course was served. Part way into the main course (more later) a person approached the table and it was none other than the Minority Whip of the United States House of Representatives: Steny Hoyer! No pressure there! But, I must say that even though he is a national figure, a heavy weight in Washington, it was pretty much like sitting next to your neighbor. Conversation was easy, he remembered me from the Boeing Days and more lately Rotary club, and the time passed quickly. We never ventured into politics, and you can think what you want depending on your particular views, but he is just a nice guy. Just another nice thing about living down here in Southern Maryland.

As to the food, it was Catered by Bailey’s the venerable outfit that has been a staple in Southern Maryland catering for years. Presided over by the patriarch Eddy, it was a typical Bailey event. I have always thought his appetizers were his strong suit (leaning predominately to fried..), but the crab balls, coconut shrimp, and good old shrimp were quite tasty. The requisite cheese tray was as always, a cheese tray. What can you do.. Entrée was a small filet with a crab Louis/Newburg in one of those little scallop dishes, some potatoes and a squash compote. I have never understood why crabmeat bathed in melted butter is attractive, but if you let it drain a bit, it was tasty. My beef was cooked pretty well. The poor serving staff had to duck between the kitchen tent and the dining tent and were a bit damp. Poured wine was Woodbridge.

Following dinner they launched into the live auction, which we won’t recount for space and your time considerations, but the auctioneer was the standard Dan Raley. The man has a talent for that.

Saturday dawns...

I awoke the next morning feeling fairly crummy, which I partly ascribed to the prior evening, but later have realized it was the start of the cold not the beverages that caused it. I had indicated that I would do “chapel duty” down at Historic St. Mary’s City, so buoyed by a Starbuck’s and Advil I decided to go down there and hope for the best. Sometimes when the weather is poor and other stuff is going on in the area (WineFest, Blessing of the Fleet), things are slow and a relaxing time sitting by the chapel can be therapeutic.

So, when I was pulling out of Mattapany Road my first glimpse of the chapel revealed about fifteen or twenty people milling about. Uh Oh, here are patrons eager to learn about the chapel and it’s history, and I’m already a little late! Defying regulations, I parked the fluttermobile by the road, hopped the fence with my fact book, and started for the chapel. During the twenty yard traverse, I noticed that a lot of the visitors had cameras pointing at various parts of the chapel, and by the time I arrived, it was evident they ALL had cameras. And we’re not talking point and shoots, there were more DSLR Nikons and Canons than I have seen in a long time. There were lenses as long as your arm on some of them, most had those vests with a million pockets, back packs for other lenses, and tripods dangling from them. Obviously serious folk. I finally talked to one of them, and found out that they were part of Scott Kelby’s World Wide Photo Walk. While I don’t often recommend going to sites (I provide them for interest) take a look at this one, mute your speakers, and click the little video.  It will give you an idea what I experienced. People down on their knees shooting the texture of the chapel floor, close-ups of the wavy windows in the chapel, door hardware, anything. Lots of conversation like “Hey Tom, are you shooting ISO 200 or 800?”;you think I should use my Macro or telephoto for this shot?”. Stuff like that..

But, being a good docent, I decided to try to interest some of them in what they were seeing.. “Did you know this chapel was built on the original foundation of 1667?” – “that’s nice – Susan! What f stop did you use on that shot of the window frame”. “The Jesuits tore this down themselves around 1720 and it was locked for a decade before that!”. “Hmmm, Sid, could I borrow your tripod?”. As the song says there’s a time to fold ‘em, so I did. I’m sure they enjoyed their experience, I just wish their focus could have been wider (pun intended).

Sunday Fun

We finished off the weekend by visiting the Sotterley Plantation Wine Fest, featuring Maryland wines, local foods, demonstrations, and music. What a shock it was to walk up to the post Irene plantation! It was like a war zone..Anyway, I arrived on the site and used the Southern Maryland So Good tent to miraculously transform from a broken down foodie blogger into His Majesty

King Oyster!!

HRH then walked around the grounds, waving to wide eyed kids who either waved back or hid in Mommy’s skirts. Saw some friends who were astonished (well, surprised) at my alter role, met some new friends who learned about the Oyster Festival. And, I must admit there are some pleasant sides to King Oyster’s duties..  Somebody's got to do it!



This has turned out far longer than I intended, so this is OBE, but if you’re free this afternoon, there is a faculty seminar in the Glendening Annex at St. Mary’s College entitled “Tobacco as Currency in Colonial America”. Starts at 4:30.. free, and usually there are cookies!

Due to his kingly duties (and the lowering weather), tasting of the Maryland Wines was limited (apparently no problem with the group above!).  I did find a couple that I would have liked to get a larger sample than the miniscule metered "taste" they offered.  Another time perhaps..  Was not able to hit the food tent.
 
Current (Monday)
 
And this has turned out far longer than I intended, so this is OBE, but if you’re free this afternoon, there is a faculty seminar in the Glendening Annex at St. Mary’s College entitled “Tobacco as Currency in Colonial America”.  Starts at 4:30..  free, and usually there are cookies!

The King was regally

DFD

ps thanks to the Court Photographer for providing images of His Majesy
 

No comments: