Monday, October 10, 2011

Much Ado about......

I wish the Feeder could report that the fact that he has been silent all weekend was due to a jammed packed schedule, wonderful meals, and exciting activities. That is partially true, a jammed packed schedule last Friday started a downward spiral in the cold that won’t leave resulting in a general feeling of ennui for the rest of the weekend, with only last night showing signs of maybe returning to whatever normal health is these days.


Each of the Friday events in themselves were enjoyable, and mostly self imposed, but the fact that there were so many (at least to me) sort of had a cumulative negative effect. It began with a coffee at Coffee Quarter in San Souci where my friend and I have found that if you’re lucky it can be fairly quiet and somewhat private. After that, I went down to St. Mary’s College for another Piano Talk by Brian Ganz. I won’t go into another lengthy description (although I could) but will say that it was extremely informative and my limited musical knowledge gets expanded every time I go. Brian has branched off a bit and now calls them “Chopin Discovery Series”, wherein he plays a little known or not often performed piece of Chopin. This one was a Fantasy on a Polonaise (Op. 61). Mark your calendars; next edition is November 1st at noon.

After a brief respite and a bite, I attended a meeting of the planning committee for the upcoming Hospital Gala at the Hollywood Fire (oops, for this occasion it’s the “Social Hall”). It should be quite an evening, one of the premiere events of the fall season. Part of my duties will be to do a tasting of the proposed menu this Wednesday.. I’m sure the caterer will be keenly interested in the Feeder’s opinions.. ha ha.

After that meeting I zipped home, loaded up the car with my regal King Oyster outfit, drove over to Leonardtown and did the rounds as His Majesty during First Friday. After an hour or so of spreading the word about the Oyster Festival (this Saturday and Sunday at the fairgrounds) and getting his picture taken, he changed back into commoner garb and joined some friends at the Front Porch for a desperately needed drink.

That concluded the hectic start, and Saturday morning proved my body didn’t think it was such a good remedy for curing colds and I felt generally crummy. However, with the aid of sunshine and liberal doses of Advil, I went down to Historic St. Mary’s City to host a 12:30 tour of the Chapel that was being offered to visitors that day. So, I boned up on my early history of the colony, prepared some notes, and drove down to the Visitor Center and then hiked out to the Pavilion, the gathering point for the tour. As 12:30 approached, the paths remained vacant, and by 12:40 it was obvious that nobody was coming. Eventually a single wandered by, and when I asked if perchance he was there for “the tour”, he replied: “What tour?”. None the less we had a pleasant conversation about this and that, and eventually he headed off for the Mackall Barn. After a bit, a family arrived and were quite interested in the Chapel and its reconstruction, so I was somewhat mollified with that. After they went on to see the firing of the cannon at the Dove, the paths again were deserted so I took myself home to the couch, where I spent the remainder of the day. We had an interesting evening meal which will eventually make its way into these pages.

Sunday morning punished me some more, but by the afternoon I was feeling somewhat better and some friends came over last night for conversation and football observation. The former was more or less confined to the distaff side, while the gentlemen availed themselves of the sporting coverage on the Tele. No sense going into that, although I will say the Cardinals collapse in the sixth inning was difficult to watch.  And Eli Manning owes me,  I had the Giants in my suicide pool...

We decided that Pizza was called for so we went to the extent to get some from Ruddy Duck. We’ve found that their wood fired preparation and quality ingredients are worth the drive if you want something other than chain.

Anyway, that was my weekend. I hope yours was enjoyable with the wonderful weather..

Thanks for visiting, hopefully things will pick up and we can worry about

DFD and occasionally DSYG (Don’t Say You Guys)

No comments: