Monday, July 2, 2012

Heat waves.....


With this sweltering heat, food kind of takes a back seat (hey!!...)  So, a quick recap of the weekend..

Once again, we passed on the Friday evening River Concert Series citing the weather (and forecast) and the later starting time. And we here at the digs were very fortunate that the derecho went north of us, and while we were okay, many, many, many folks north of here are still without power and air conditioning, some not to be made whole until next weekend!  I am beginning to modify my thoughts about those Mayans and their calendar.   What’s up with this weather, anyway? And it’s only just into July for heaven’s sake!

Saturday I went down to Historic St. Mary’s City to “chapel sit” for the Summer Faire event.  I considered bailing all together but the Friday evening’s storms appeared to cut the humidity a little and it wasn’t so bad so I went down and sat for most of the morning.   Was surprised at the visitation, but I was glad to be able to talk to people.  For once, while they were all interesting, I didn’t have any “characters”.  MFO was helping in the information booth, and at about one, we both cut out and headed for CSM LaPlata to attend a lecture on Historic Foodways to be given by a former employee of HSMC.  The closer we got to LaPlata, the more we said, “Hey! look at that big tree down”, or “gosh, look at all those branches”.  Being a little late we hustled toward the campus and wheeled into the south entrance only to be greeted by a locked fence.  A short trip north resulted in the same experience.  Hmmm, must be closed.  So we went back out to Highway 301 and headed south.  It soon became apparent that power outages were in play.  All the little food chains (McDonalds, Chick-fil-a, burger king, Chipolte… they got them all up there) were “dark”.  Not only that, the traffic lights were black.  That resulted in confused drivers trying to make a turn across traffic with the usual “not in front of me, damn it” good Samaritans, which made it very slow going.  Anyway we finally got home, figuring CSM was in the “no power” group.  Hope they will repeat the lecture.

Elementary…. A Rant

One of the things that MFO and I like to do of a Sunday evening is sit on the back porch (if weather permits, which it hasn’t lately) take out the “little TV” and sit with a tinkling glass, nibbles, and watch MPT or WETA.  We enjoy some of the Masterpiece Theaters, series such as Downton Abbey and especially Doc Martin (don’t much care for the Miss Marple or Poirot's).  But our all time, hands down, favorite is the Sherlock Holmes episodes.  We just love Jeremy Brett (which has been mentioned before in this forum) as Sherlock and Edward Hardwicke as his foil, Watson.  I don’t care if I have seen the episode a hundred times, watching “Holmes” lay his finger aside his nose, purse the lips, arch his eyebrows, then flash that momentary little smile is just wonderful.  Scripting is great even if the plot is sometimes a bit pithy.  Great stuff.  I also think that I have mentioned before in some other rant about this that there is an “updated” series now with some youthful punk who uses cell phones and stuff.  I am proud to say I have never seen a complete episode of that, nor the recently released movie.  But what really got my goat (is everybody issued a goat for this kind of thing?) was something that happened while watching the golf tourney at Congressional yesterday afternoon on CBS.  Tearing themselves away from the idolatry of Tiger (who somehow is now viewed as tragic figure, deserving a return to glory), there was the usual string of commercials.  All of a sudden there was a teaser for a new CBS) series this fall, called “Elementary”, yet another take off on Sherlock Holmes.  Holmes is portrayed by Johnny Lee Miller (who has a broad English accent, wether real or not, I don't know). Butin the ultimate travesty and insult to Mr. Conan Doyle (who must be spinning in his grave like a runaway engine turbine) “Watson” is (get this) portrayed by Lucy Liu (hey, you gotta have sex in these things or they don’t sell!) and the character is Joan Watson.  Good Lord!  I could go on and rant on my own about this, but maybe CBS can illustrate my point better.  Here, lifted verbatim from their own website for the show is their own actual description:

“In a modern-day take on Sherlock Holmes, the iconic detective is taking on New York. Just out of rehab, he's been assigned to live with his worst nightmare-sober coach, Dr. Joan Watson. Holmes's unsurpassed skills of deduction and Watson's medical expertise come together to create a dream team for solving the NYPD's most impossible cases”

Rehab??? "Assigned to live?" Can anything be more ludicrous!  What idiots.  And while I’m using other peoples quotes, I’ll borrow one of my favorites from good old H. L. Mencken: “Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public”.  Right on, HL.
And while we’re being crabby...
Friday night MFO crossed the bridge for a meal at the Dry Dock.  The searing heat didn’t exactly make us want to cook.  Besides, we like the place.  I still think it’s the best (non crab picking) waterfront dining experience available.   Food is generally good, service is nice (especially when you’re a regular), and the kitchen knows me well enough to substitute for asparagus without asking, and put anchovies on my Caesar. I ordered a special salmon dish, and MFO felt in the mood for crab cakes.  Venturing into the world of crab cakes is always hazardous, for what you like may not be what I like and vice versa, and that is perfectly fine.  She didn't particularly enjoy hers that evening. But, like I say, you might think it is good.  Judge not.  My salmon was pan baked, and topped with a very nice “Island” salsa of mangoes, pineapples, and other tropicals.  It was very good, and contained no asparagus… Nice place.

Does this weather make me (even more) irascible?  You bet.

And yes, it is a struggle to
DFD

Ps: I had some positive feedback about the larger print.   And I will pass along a hint from one of my more savvy computer friends who reminded me that on a “windows” machine you can press “Control + (or - )” to magnify your screen.  Just tried it, it works, but for this edition i'll use the geriatric font..

No comments: