Friday, January 18, 2013

Face Book....


(To slightly plagiarize something):,
 
.....is like a woman, you can’t live with and you can’t live without.  These days, web pages seem to be slipping as the main source of information about something.    More and more “things” have created FaceBook “pages” and use them to relate information.   Locally, that would include organizations such as our libraries, NAVAIR, the Lexington Park development people (a story in itself), and other NGO’s as well as government agencies.  It is a convenient way to “keep up” on things of interest.  For instance after our trip to Galway, I have “liked” a couple of their newspaper "pages", and also a few of the restaurants we enjoyed while there.  Kind of keeps up the ties.. And of course being in the food writing business (if you can call it that) I also have liked various restaurants, butcheries, local sourcing farms, wineries, farmer’s groups, caterers, and so on.  Of course I do have some “friends” that are just individuals that I also enjoy following and keeping up up with.  For instance one person is a great source for upcoming musical events associated with the college.  I rarely post, only if i can't stand it (like using the "y" word to describe food).

So, most every morning I take a look at what’s going on, looking at both the wheat and the chaff.  Scrolling down past all the pictures of cute kitties and dogies which seem never ending, all the venomous political posts from both sides, I occasionally find something interesting that catches my eye.  Like (ha ha) yesterday I came across an initial posting about how much this person enjoys her new(?) iPhone, and is fascinated by “Siri”.  I was a little surprised because this person is pretty “hip” (dates me, eh?) and also enjoys good food and cooking (not that that makes it exclusive).  Well, what followed her initial remark was a huge string of comments from other people about their own love affair with Siri, how they can’t stay away, and filled with amusing (to them) anecdotes.  Things like “I asked Siri how to dispose of a dead body, and got a listing of funeral parlors".  Or, “I asked Siri where to buy “weed” and got a list of pharmaceutical companies”.  Another:  “I love her!” Riveting stuff!  All went on to emote about how much time they spend with their phone presumably welded to their ear talking to a recording..Well, I got a question they could ask Siri: “Siri, how can I get a life?”

Truckin’
An observation from this morning’s travels (and this is a bit of a generalization).  Why do drivers of pickup trucks feel it is necessary to floor it from a stop light when first in line?  Usually the more pipes that protrude from various places and the number of wheels on axles the more pedal is used.  I don’t want to speculate on their self esteem so you think about that.  The truck is THEM!.  Anyway it usually allows them to “win” the drag race and be at the next red light before anybody else proving their superiority in life.

Good Stuff…
And speaking of self esteem, mine got a boost the other day when a friend sent me a link to a column from a Seattle NPR radio station.  The title of the piece was “An annoying question from the waiter”, which turned out to be “have you dined with us before?”  the author respond “why do they want to know?”.  Personally (for once!) I don’t think that’s all that bad.  Maybe the menu has changed, maybe they only do tasting menus, maybe prix fixe, and other things unique to the restaurant.  But, at the end of the intro, he threw out “What’s on your list?”  and there were lots of respondents.  I was gratified to see most of the things I rant about appeared:

“Guys that don't remove their baseball caps/fedoras/beanies/Stetsons at the table.”  (Since this is obviously gender specific, I don’t object to “guys”).

"My beef is that when dining with a group of friends, the waiter starts removing people's plates when there is still one person eating.."
 
and of course my favorite:

“My ongoing pet peeve is overuse of the word GUYS. Asking a group of women, "are you guys ready to order?" Is when the tip starts going down. Call me old-fashioned, but it's everywhere...”

We are not alone people!!  I am not howling in the wilderness.

It’s Open
As part of those morning rambles which turned into nearly one, I passed the LongHorn Steakhouse.  You couldn’t park a vespa in the parking lot.  More dollars flowing away..

What the … Heck?
I have no idea what’s going on at Notre Dame/Manti’s “girl friend”.  And I too never knew there was a situation called “catfish”..  too old.


DFD (especially in Seattle!!)

 

No comments: