Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Do Lunch!!


i am not sure how i can take longer to write about an experience than the experience itself, must take talent 

First I say nothing, and then I don’t stop.   This will probably be the last post on this subject for a while, but I did want to follow up our initial visit with one where we actually were guests.  We met a friend (seems like we’re always meeting friends) there for lunch yesterday to check out that aspect of the operation.

We got there about high lunch time and were pleased to see that there were lots of cars in the lot, and indeed we were not alone in the idea of lunch at McKay's 245.  As I mentioned yesterday roughly a third (?) of the floor space is given over to the quick service operation.  Four(?) large islands offer salads, soups, rotisserie stuff, and Asian items.  And there are not just a token selections available either.  There are, for instance, ten different types of chicken wings, there must have been a dozen soups, every salad you could think of, etc. As it turned out our friend knew one of the employees there and we got a quick cook’s tour.  Besides the offerings on the islands, along the side you can special order sandwiches, subs (never for the bottom feeder), hot dogs, hamburgers, hot fresh pizzas by the slice, and probably something I forgot, and an array of pastries to finish the meal with. Then there’s the wine bar which we will discuss in a moment.  You can fit a meal to any appetite from dainty to logger.

Which then provides your first challenge:  what the heck do I want?  Unless you’re singularly purposed this results in wandering around, picking up lids, pondering this and that, unable to make up your mind.  At least that was me.  Finally an admonishment from MFO narrowed me down to having some potato and leek soup (for a cold and rainy day), and for some reason chicken fried rice that looked appetizing along with an egg roll.  Since “to go” is an option, all containers are Styrofoam (except the Asian area, which has waxed boxes), and all tools are in cellophane wrapped pouches.  I had to keep reminding myself it is NOT a restaurant, so it is logical to have this stuff.   They do have trays at the end of the islands so you can balance your containers and stuff in one place.

After completing wandering and filling it is time to “check out”.  Currently this means queuing up for the single “check out lady (COL)”.  Of course we were at a busy lunch hour, so this proved to be kind of a pinch point. It is noted here that this was my “First Time” so perhaps doing again will go more smoothly.  COL has to take each item from your tray, weigh it, to determine the price (most stuff is by the pound) and then hand you back the container.  Meanwhile there isn’t (to my knowledge) a convenient place to rest your tray to unload and reload it.  There is a “self check out” but I was too intimidated to attempt that.  So kind of a bit awkward set up.  Again, with less people and more experience it might improve.
Then we come to the wine.  Of course it was my duty to figure out how that worked, so was obligated to have a glass with lunch.  As a quick aside here, our “tour guide” reminded us you could get a glass (or a beer), or get this, a cocktail to put in your cart while you shop.  The tipsy shopper!!.  Anyway, the deal is that you indicate to the COL that you would like wine.  As I said before it is a high tech operation She produces a little card  much like a room key at a hotel (clever title, eh?)



And asks you “how much would you like?”.  The deal is that you have to pre-load the card with a certain amount of dollars (which are NOT refundable) before you get your wine.  As mentioned before there is a wide variation in wine prices (around four to over eight) by the whole glass with lesser volumes (sample, taste) for lesser dollars.  Confirming that MFO didn’t feel similarly obligated to have a glass, I took a shot and said ten bucks.  Then that amount is loaded on the card and handed back  to you.  As you remember there are seven units with four bottles each.


So again wandering is initiated.  I finally found a Merlot for $8.95 figuring that was pretty close.  Shopping by pocket book.  Then you insert the card into a little slot and all the price windows in your unit show how much is on the card (amazing!).  You hold your wine glass (yes, wine GLASS thank you!!) under the spigot and punch the button under the desired amount (just like selecting octane at the gas pump.  It then puts your amount in the glass.  I would say that the pour was fair.  It’s always hard to judge in balloon glasses but it was adequate.

There is a nice little space set aside (to the left of the wine bar above) with several tables sort of out of the way of everything and we finally took a space and sat down.  Again, eating out of Styrofoam with plastic tools is not my favorite, but YES it is NOT a restaurant.  We all thought the food was good, especially the soups.  Greens were fresh in salads, and the egg rolls crisp.  Personally I wish the flat screen over the (welcomed) fireplace could be turned down.  We didn’t observe anybody actually watching it.

As I sat there finishing my wine (and enjoying it, it was “fresh”) it bugged me I still had $1.05 on my little card.  Then I discovered the plus for the “sample” portion.  I found one for a buck and gladly took the sip or two.  Good strategy!!

So I echo many peoples opinion that the 245 McKay's is a welcome addition to our area.  Oh, it was pointed out during our tour that for dinner you can get something like a (what looked like) a nice piece of Salmon with two sides for eight bucks or so.  Not a bad deal.  On the way out I picked up a bottle of Dry Vermouth (the first part of the DMOTRWAT) so didn’t have to make another stop.  With MFO doing her archivist thing in Tudor Hall, I think this might solve some dinner options!!  And okay, for once I can release you from

DFD



No comments: