Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A fast one about Fish(y Fishy)



Well, there are so many Irish images I c/would like to share, but time is short and this has been sticking in my craw all day, so I’m going to go way out of chronological order and yak about today’s food experience.  It kind of posed a problem for the feeder.  We’ll get back to lovely Irish stuff when able..

When I was doing dining research for our trip, I knew we would be having lunch in Kinsale, widely regarded as a culinary destination.  One of the places that kept coming up was a venue called (I am not making this up) “Fishy Fishy” as a top purveyor of seafood.  When our coach pulled into KInsale, I immediately spied it




So after disembarking the bus I decided that hunting up the other candidates was too time consuming and we might as well head for FF, as it was pretty much at the top of the suggestions.

So in we went to be met by the affable owner Martin Shanahan, who kind of held court while seating people.  We were told we could wait in the bar for a moment and then we could be seated.  We did, and I had a chance to peruse the (lovely) bar




Especially the gin lineup which DID include my favorite Plymouth Gin among some familiar and unfamiliar bottles (where's Waldo?)




 It didn’t take too long and we were showed to a two top and given menus and a wine list..  It’s a pleasant room with nautical  stuff on the walls.   As a preface let me say that they were very busy, and there seemed to be only three harried servers to handle that main dining space which might hold 80 or so diners.   It took a bit but finally we were approached by a server and asked about a drink.  Yes, we would like a glass of the Sancerre, and  a Muscadet for myself.  And since we knew there were many tickets ahead of ours, we also ordered food, MFO an “open face crab sandwich” and I figured what the heck a “Grilled whole white sole on the bone”.  Fine.   Time passes, no wine. More time passes, no wine.  Finally a runner arrives at the table with two plates of food.  “who had the…”
MFO raised her hand for the crab sandwich which meant the Sole was for the Feeder.  Both dishes were nicely presented and looked very appetizing






And, they would have been even more appetizing if there were wine with them. I flagged down a server who seemed mystified that we had none, and said he would take care of it right away, which was maybe five minutes more. Wine should have preceded the entrée but not.  Unsat...

Both dishes were very good, and I acquitted myself nicely in boning the Sole, and didn’t choke on any missed bones. About three quarters through the meal, my Muscadet was finished, so I re-flagged a server indicating I would like another.  It turned out to be the same person I flagged the first time, and he said “this will be quicker. Sir”  Good.  Fish finished, a small piece of bread and still no wine.  Well, who wants a glass of wine with no food so another flagging saying “Forget the wine, just bring the check”.. sorry sir, of course.

Check arrives with MFO’s wine and entrée, my entrée and TWO glasses of wine.  And the young lady (our first server who blew the wine order) said, Oh, I’m sorry, I’ll remove it.  Well the credit card receipt arrived with all THREE glasses of wine included, and when I pointed that out, she said so sorry, I’ll get the cash and came back with cash for the difference, which eventually she did.

Okay, so the food was very good but the service was pitiful. Maybe I focus to much on the order of things, but damn it, wine should arrive pretty quickly after the order.  Lots of people, few servers,  what do you think?  On the way out I ran into affable Martin and in response to “How was everything” I replied that the food was good, but the wine service was pitiful  The response was not “I’m sorry sir I apologize” but rather a series of excuses (busy, rush, not enough feet, etc.),  I will probably go on TripAdvisor, but currently not sure what I’ll do.

One time, tourist heavy, yadda yadd, but two glasses of wine?  How hard can that be?

Whew,  long day, so a little venting feels good.  Currently in Cork, where we all dined in the hotel and were

DFD


No comments: