Monday, September 7, 2015

Ganz and Chopin and more





This weekend, St. Mary’s College is holding their annual “Piano Festival By the River” a four day “retreat for pianists to focus completely on the piano with other pianists and piano lovers”  There are a series of Master Classes, performances, recitals, and lessons for students of the piano.  Several of the members of the music faculty participate including Brian Ganz participate.

As part of the Festival, Mr. Ganz held one of his Piano Talks yesterday (Sunday) which I greatly enjoy so I went down to listen and learn.  The whole “talk”, which lasted over an hour and a half, focused exclusively on Chopin’s 3rd Piano Sonata in B minor, Op. 58.  This was his last sonata, composed in 1844, and is considered by some to be one of Chopin's most difficult compositions, both technically and musically.  After hearing it and learning about it I could certainly agree with that.

Anyway, I joined the small audience (see rant below) to enjoy Brian talk about the composition, and as usual illustrating his remarks by going to the keyboard to demonstrate.  Also as usual, he lost this engineer shortly into the discussion, but it is fascinating to discover things in the music I would never hear without illustration.  Terms like “exposition”, “recapitulation”, “maestoso” flew around, mostly flying over my head. 

After an hour of discussion we took a short break and then Brian played the whole piece which lasted a good half hour.  If you ever get a chance to hear that selection, do it. It is an amazing piece and under the hand of Brian the word “astonishing” came to mind.  Not only for the music but the work it takes to play it.  And, it was all done from memory, no page turner needed.  Incredible talent right here in St. Mary’s County…

Which, leads me into my little RANT.  When Brian schedules a concert at a place like Strathmore, it will sell out almost immediately.   So yesterday, I arrived somewhat earlier than normal for the 1:00 talk, figuring that since it was Sunday, during the Piano Festival, and Labor Day weekend parking and seating would be tight.  So about twenty of, I arrived at the college, and to my surprise the “Trinity Church” parking lot was amost completely empty (normally jam packed).  I did notice some newer looking signs that warned of towing any non-parishioners, so went down to the “Farthings” lot by Historic St. Mary’s City.  Also quite devoid of autos.  So I parked, and seeing no other people on foot heading the auditorium in St. Mary’s Hall, I called MFO at home to verify that I had the correct date and time.  Yup got it right.  

Trudged on to the auditorium and entered (by now it was maybe ten of one) to find an almost completely empty hall.  There was a young man playing the piano on stage and there might have been ONE other person sitting.  I occupied my usual (Michael Picot memorial) seat in the last row on the right side of the place.  People did start to trickle in, and by the time Brain came out for the second time (We’ll give them a couple more minutes and then start) there might have been slightly over twenty.  

What the..... he...ck?  The place should have been full!  What’s the matter with people down here? J  he is a World class musician and has an audience of twenty, mostly the same bunch that shows up every time.. Awful.   Of course Brian is such a kind person I think he would have been just as enthusiastic if there were only one person there.  Too bad..

Too Late to be Early

I was going to relate a belated visit to the Early Bird (Just north of town), which was suggested by an alert reader as a candidate for the Just Right list.  I replied that I had written about it, but a search of the archives did not bring a blog about the Early Bird.  Somehow, although I captured some pictures, I never wrote the thing up.  I am told that the lunch counter (apparently was more popular for breakfast) has been closed.  A little hint, based on my visit last December, it is probably a good thing.  So we won’t sully a report about wonderful music with a report of sub par food. 

Quick Foodie Notes
Apparently McDonalds is about to launch a huge marketing campaign announcing that they will be serving breakfast all day.  The little story I read wondered if that would affect the price of eggs.

Also it appears that the golden arches will kindly (?) refuse the Burger King offer to provide a McWhopper on Peace Day.  Apparently BK will now pursue maybe Denny’s who seem more receptive, among others. 

Look out for Barrel Aged Gin… next big thing


Along with
DFD

No comments: