Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Car on a Roof!

Editor’s note (really me):  A funny thing happened on my way to publishing this.  I intended to post it yesterday morning (8/31), but decided to see if I could find out a little bit more about the subject.  So, on sort of a whim, I put out a little posting in Facebook (yes, Facebook) on the “You know you’re from St. Mary’s County if….” Page (which, by the way, is invaluable for anyone who is interested in the history of our county, there is neat stuff there), asking if anybody knew who “Bert” was (or is).   What I got was an astonishing amount of information about “Bert’s” and its history.  It could have replaced this whole posting. So I delayed until today to let the information come out.   Please see History Portion for a brief summary at the end of the food portion (my original intent).

The Food Portion
The Feeder was presented with a tough decision last week.  As alert readers know, he (note clever use of third person) is always on the lookout for “just right” places.  A kind of regional meeting of a civic group I belong to brought me to a venerable place in Mechanicsville (Maryland)



Opening (I find out) as a little sandwich and ice cream shop and has grown into its current guise as “Bert’s 50’s Diner” with the car on top, which appears to have parked up there after expansion at the end of the eighties.  Without an exhaustive search, I don’t know who Bert was. (I do now.. see preamble above and history below). It has somewhat of a cult following, a favorite of families, classic car clubs, motorcycle groups, and the like.  We’ve eaten there a couple of times translating between “up the road” and home.  That was before the concept of the “just right” moniker was born.  So, obviously a “50’s Diner” would certainly deserve consideration for that category.  It: a} has been in business for a long time; b) it has serves a segment of local people; c) the menu certainly reflects what is generally considered a “diner”; and d) the décor is in harmony with that


As an aside one of those comic book covers that adorns the back wall caught my eye


Anybody seen one of those monsters lately?

Most walls are covered with memorabilia and appropriate posters, pictures, and newspaper articles



Our little meeting group gathered in the “Elvis Room”


with ubiquitous flat screen

My only concern with the “just right” thing as far as the décor goes is that not being around in the ‘50’s (well I was, just not quite as food conscious) I don’t know how authentic this stuff is.  Since (current) Bert’s began life in the mid eighties, NOT the fifties, I wonder if they sort of did an instant historical evolution.   It wasn’t like they opened in the fifties and gradually matured adding stuff as they went, more like “poof!”,  now we’re a (perceived) fifties diner?  Not quite sure how to take that.

As to the food, I guess they get good marks.  The menu is what you would expect, a multi-page plastic laminated thing



With all the expected entries, sandwiches, subs, cheese steaks, salads, even a “blue plate special” section.  It being around dinner time (or is it diner time?) I went with my standard Reuben sandwich, one of my benchmarks for such places (neither Tuna nor Patty Melt appeared on their menu).   The menu description of the Reuben hit all the notes: corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss,  (,,,) dressing on grilled rye.  I threw in a side of curly fries, appropriately listed at the bottom of the menu page. 

Without running (very far0 down bunny trails on Reuben Sandwiches, this version had Thousand Island Dressing, and plain rye bread. Although Thousand Island is pretty common, I rather think the “original” sandwich, if there is such a thing, started with Russian dressing, but I won’t quibble.  The other variation is the use of marble rye, which I personally don’t like, but it is not uncommon either.  I once had a nice debate about marbled vs. plain with a local restaurateur who knows everything about the county and most of its foodways.

Anyway, in just right fashion, all our orders (after a cautionary “your dinners will be out shortly”) finally arrived on a big tray shouldered by our server, with Elvis looking on.
-7


The Reuben was in a basket, on checkered waxed paper (the black version, not red, which is still okay), nestled among the curly fries (not sure what the attraction is, but I like them better than the “standard” version.. more fun to eat with your fingers?)



The sandwich did include all the listed ingredients with several slices of corned beef
-10

Should I gripe because it was obviously “lunch meat”?  I dunno, probably just right that way.  Tasted pretty good anyway, which is what matters most.  And, without comment other than the person enjoyed it, here is a shot of a friend's “Meat Loaf Dinner”. 


Which, he enjoyed despite the looks of the “gravy” which appeared as if it might have come from the vehicle on the roof..

So does Bert’s belong on a “just right” list?  Probably does, with a few reservations.  It is certainly a unique addition to our county’s food options.  Go visit, and see for yourself.  Also, I didn’t avail myself of any ice cream products, which most people speak very highly of.   Also your choice of the appropriate

DFD

The History Portion

First of all, if anybody happens across this who shared their knowledge and experiences with “Bert’s” on Facebook, thank you so much.  It always amazes me about the people who live here, and “grew up” with the county, they know an awful lot about it.  There were several "I used to work there!" kind of comments.  How neat..  I’m not going to try to do an exhaustive narrative of the evolution of Bert’s, although that would make an interesting article which I may pursue another time.  And apologies to those folks who shared their history if I get something a little skewed.

Bert’s apparently started out life as “Tasty Kwik” in the sixties, and into the seventies.. Tucker was a name associated with that time period.  Then, the Miller’s took it over through the seventies and into the eighties when the real Bert (Gagnon} began to morph it into the current diner form.   Bert is now “retired” and his namesake spot has a new owner.  Time moves on.  But, Bert is still around, and his daughter now is running the “Foxy Fish” restaurant, also in Mechanicsville.   That spot was once held by the legendary Copsey’s. 

It is gratifying to find a bona fide good use for Facebook, it reaches far and wide.  I am often critical of it for the doggies, kitties, kiddies, and pithy sayings (and I won’t get into selfies), but you can scroll past that and find some interesting stuff.  Like the history of Bert’s!!




No comments: