Thursday, January 28, 2016

Quick Cuppa Joe....



And now for something completely different...

I think I have mentioned in the past that one of the publications I subscribe to is “Imbibe” magazine which is devoted  to well, Imbibing various liquids.  Out of the maybe four categories broadly addressed, I would say that craft beers is tops, followed by froo froo cocktails fashioned by “mixologists”, then coffee, and dead last, wine.   I probably pay more attention to the cocktails, marveling at the 23 esoteric ingredients, etc., and then it’s always fun to see what beers are there.

But, I really don’t pay much attention to coffee.  Of course like anything else, there are cult followings of various houses, with (I must admit) beautiful “latte art”, multiple brewing methods from the old “Chemex” to fancy pressure machines etc.  I really must admit I am not much of a coffee aficionado, it kind of (oversimplified) tastes all the same to me.  I suspect that it may be because I don’t make it my business to taste around, and maybe find something I really like.  Also because I most likely don’t know that much about its agriculture and varieties, roasting theories, brewing techniques, and so on.

Well, on Saturday (10 am) this weekend there may be an opportunity for us (rookie to pro) to learn up on the subject.  Elements (Eatery and Mixology) is going to have a kind of bean to cup (hands-on) seminar on all of the above.  Types of beans, blending, roasting levels, storage, brewing, cupping(?) will all be on the agenda along with the chance to do some tastings.  Had any Tanzania Peaberry or Indian Monsooned coffee lately?  (Plus there is a topic on integrating coffee into cocktails!)   Here’s your chance.  RSVP highly desired, you can sign up at this link.  While I no longer tout wine dinners and the ilk, I think this is a one of a kind thing that is enough different that I should let you know. Great opportunity.

Maybe see you there.  There is a program hosted by the Maryland Association of Historic District Commissions up in Annapolis on the same date.  MFO has us locked into that.  If it lasts long enough we may stay for dinner, so we have to be


DFD


No comments: