Thursday, July 11, 2019

new stuff




Well, I’ve finally amassed enough “This and That’s” to cobble together a feeder. 

So, what’s been going on?


More adventures from the world of Henry
Well, here I am sitting on the Feeder Fence, in hopes of seeing some tasty little morsel.  Very peaceful here, nice and quiet.. 


Hey! What’s that noise?

Oh, one of those featherless flying contraptions



Hope it just keeps going… nope
Bet it doesn't like mice, either

Kitchen maintenance
Do you have any cutting boards that are sort of getting “shop worn”?  I sure do, so I decided to give a trial to a Boos product (available from Amazon)


Dumb old me I didn’t get a “before” shot, maybe I will after a while, but after application of the Mystery Oil and an overnight, a couple look like this


I tried to finish with the Board Cream, but it took all my (lessening strength to get it out of the tube.   Almost caulk like.  So I went to the “contact us” page of Boos and voiced my problem, within hours I had a nice reply from Allison, acknowledging that that was a problem with the product.  She suggested I nuke it for 10 seconds, then knead the tube before trying to extrude some.  Well, I haven’t tried that.   Results in second edition, along with other stuff..

Chef Feeder rises sits again
Well, I still can’t stand for long, so looking for recipes not requiring long stints on “the line” so to speak.  What could fit the bill more than “Slow Cooker” stuff.  Great idea!  It so happened a recipe appeared in the latest “Cook’s Country” that looked good, wasn’t loaded with salt, and didn’t require a lot of fussing.


Hey, let’s give it a try!
So I gathered and mixed the dry ingredients



And then addressed the thighs (hello, thighs!)
All “neatly” packaged skin on, bone in

When un-packaged (and flipped) revealed
Kind of a mess

The recipe recommended removing the skin and any extra fat, which, after a good bit of greasy tugging I managed to pretty much accomplish that


And surprisingly the sometimes odious task of obtaining the “finely grated” lemon zest wasn't so daunting with the micro-plane

And got the device ready


And finally committed the chicken coating with the oil, and spices including the fresh thyme sprigs


I set the time for four hours on low, and crossed my fingers
So here ends chapter one…  I am up in the loft, and it just beeped indicating it was at the end of its four hours.  MFO is just about to arrive, so I’ll task her with peeking and sticking a fork in the thighs (Yikes! update: internal temp was only 120 degrees!)
Stay tuned for results!
And after I burden you all with this, I’ll go
DFD
And am proud to say there are no “jars” in the house.
and for many of my friends:
maybe that's my problem!!


No comments: