Friday, July 26, 2019

where's the beef?




Being able to have easy access to this laptop enables me to plague you more often… like now..

First of all, have to fess up to an error when I was talking about that lovely necklace I showed you from our “art o-the day” calendar. Worth a second look:


In the  accompanying yakking I calculated the age of the piece.   Thanks to an alert reader who always has appreciated my acumen with numbers from the early editions of the Feeder (I did things like “if you take the day of the month, and multiply by the number of the week, and subtract…you get the number of orangutans at the Bronx zoo.”  Well, in calculating the age of the necklace I stumbled on going from across the bridge from AC to BC.  Should have been 2019 – (  a minus ~ 1880) which makes the necklace nearly 400 years old!  Even more amazing.  I guess beauty has been a fascination of humans for centuries.

In the Kitchen
The other thing that I can do now, is cook certain dishes.  I recently got some lovely aged (which may have been Wagyu) beef tenderloin, and I decided to make

Like other dishes, there are many variations from simple preparations to one of those recipes with 50 ingredients.  But, I figured with premium beef, why mess much with it.  So I assembled the ingredients (mise en place)

And chopped up the beef some and mixed in the bottled stuff and...... Whoops! Forgot an ingredient!

So diced and added in the neglected Shallot chopped the chives and also the egg yolk (not previously pictured)



I let it rest in the refrigerator a bit and then assembled a nice appetizer tray, with the classic accompaniment of Cornichons and an unclassic Dry Manhattan on the rocks. 
4739
It was pretty tasty, and there’s some for tonight.

And all the time I was assembling (winging it) the Tartare, I was treated the Dee of St. Mary’s a skipjack.   It’s such a graceful boat.   It was out last night, along with what we call “the little guys”.


Well time to prepare for cocktail hour, and I have to admit I am NOT
DFD
But there will be no Mason Jars within miles.



No comments: