Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I know where I was....

40 years ago yesterday/last night. I was in the “big green chair” in our house in Normandy, MO. A chair which we still have incidentally. I still don't understand the "one step" quote exactly. Did he intentionally leave out "a"?

Admin Note: With the added duties of dishwasher and cook on top of my part time job as a flutter puke, publication may become a bit more sporadic and most likely more brief for a little bit here…..just bare with me, bear with me? Hmmm... anyway you get the picture...

I can’t help but comment on the outcome of the British Open last weekend. As we often comment afte a lip out or something: “golf is a cruel game”. After watching nearly 71 holes of careful, steady, and thoughtful golf, Tom Watson at last fell victim to his old nemesis: the 8 footer. That putt has more or less plagued his entire career. Maybe it’s fitting somehow. It wasn’t the tragic collapse we suffered through watching Greg Norman melt down in the ’96 Masters, but it will forever be remembered in the annals of golf. “I shoulda hit the 9” will go down in history. Perhaps it’s not “right” that a 59 year old should win at a young man’s game really, but oh, my gosh, what a story it would have been. Still is, really, but not for the reasons you would wish. I hope not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he never recovers. Funny thing about golf, it’s just you, the course, the ball, and the club. There’s nobody throwing something at you at ninety miles an hour, no big linebacker trying to take your head off, Federer isn’t serving at you over a hundred miles an hour, no little guard shooting out of his mind 3 pointers, it’s just you. Your outcome is totally in your control (or lack of it, in my case). It may be the only sport/game where there is no opponent that can affect your results (mountain climbing might be another – but we won’t open the "what's a sport" argument here). There was nobody to blame but himself. It was there, only needing that par. Just wasn’t to be, and he’ll have to live with it. I hope he can get over it. I suspect he will eventually, he is the quintessential gentleman of the game. Sure was painful. Shoulda hit the 9, Tom.

And, more locally, just what we need: another restaurant in San Souci Plaza. I may not have the name exactly right, but something like China Garden II is moving into the spaces previously occupied by the Pizza Hut whatever it was. Another cuisine joins the international lineup available in the little plaza. We already have Thai, Mexican, Indian, Japanese, and American, but I don’t think there is an out and out Chinese option there until now. One stop world dining!

Lastly, a couple of weeks ago a loyal reader with an educated palate asked for restaurant suggestions for an upcoming trip to St. Louis, and I put Tony’s at the top of the list. Bless his heart, he was able to dine there, and I’m pleased to report he thought it was wonderful.

And of course, he did
DFD

No comments: