Wednesday, July 8, 2009

MJ and.... Fish

Okay, I’ll join the fray. Yesterday you couldn’t watch (or listen to) any sort of media without being bombarded by coverage of the (funeral? Celebration of Life?) for Michael Jackson. The Macbeth quote comes to mind of: “nothing in his life became him like the leaving it”. Somehow the fact that millions of adoring fans existed prior to his departure escaped me. Yes, I had heard the Jackson Five and they were cute in their time, but I must admit I never had much taste for his music as he matured, if that’s the term. I really didn’t have anything against him, he did things in later life that made me wonder, but his larger than life stature was unknown to me. Then yesterday I was forced to see Berry Gordy (of Motown fame) pronounce that MJ was “the greatest entertainer that ever lived”. My goodness! Ever! That’s a tall statement. Ever is quite a long time. But then I thought, “well, just exactly what is an entertainer?” Merriam Webster says that it is one who does entertainment, and entertainment is defined as:

An amusement or diversion provided especially by performers b: something diverting or engaging: as (1): a public performance (2): a usually light comic or adventure novel

A "performer" is defined as "the action of representing a character in a play, or b: a public presentation or exhibition.

One site i visited linked Entertainer and Celebrity. So, I am still confused by what is really an "entertainer". Does Frank Sinatra qualify? John Barrymore? John Wayne? Charlie Chaplin?

Not sure where Entertainers stop and Celebs begin, but that certainly expands the horizons. Anyway, to say that MJ is the greatest of all time seems just a tad bit overstated to me. I just hope than now we can let everybody rest. Whoops! Hold on...just where is that casket going.. Stay tuned for the never ending story!!


Fish Part:

One of the blogs I follow is by a lady who lives on a large cattle ranch in British Columbia, has 3 kids, 6 dogs and pigs, chickens, etc. She includes a lot of photos in her blog and it’s kind of fun to read. Yesterday she had a post about salmon fishing (actually netting), and included a recipe that caught my eye. To wit:

Baked Salmon
Fillet it.
Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and spray a touch of cooking spray (Pam) on it.
Combine salad dressing (Miracle Whip) with mayonnaise (Hellman's). Or one of them if you don't have both.
Spread mixture with a spatula over fillets.
Sprinkle lots of soy sauce over.
Shake dried dill weed over both fillets.
Cook for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Makes for a very moist fish with a touch of sauce.

The “caught my eye” part was the combination of Miracle whip and mayonnaise. Never heard of that before.. of course she has her salmon fresh from the river, and ours is from Giant.. Oh well, I might try it anyway..

DFD


1 comment:

opus said...

a celebrity is an entertainer who cannot rely solely upon the art.