Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rants and Reason....

Okay, first I have to let off a little steam, so if you will indulge me I think I’ll vent a little ....get it off my chest and then say something more important

Sometimes I think the drivers around here are “getting it”, and sometimes I have to wonder. Once again I fetched up behind a completely motionless car waiting to turn right on Rte. 235 from Millstone landing. From previous reports of this frustration, you know there is probably a quarter mile of unobstructed pavement before reaching Maple road. True, there are some entrances, but if you keep your eyes open you can accelerate, and seamlessly merge into flowing traffic. Or, you can sit and wait the approximately three minutes for all lanes to clear when the demons in the traffic lights determine they will stay flow of steel, and cut straight across the lane into the right traffic lane. Well, you say, what if I want to go across all three lanes so as to run left into Chancellors Run road?. To a lot of the drivers I’ve seen here, I think that would represent a great challenge and a chance to demonstrate those skills of cutting people off, sudden darting lane changes, or tailgating (I’m drafting!) learned from observing experienced drivers such as Kyle Gordon or Jeff Petty.

It seems lately that the rash of exposés of Tiger’s escapades (no further comment) have re-kindled the use of a term that I don’t like or really understand. Have you noticed that all of the salacious/pandering “interviews” of: Tiger’s paramours; parents of Casey Anthony; friends of Amanda Knox; relatives of crime victims; pick one, are always preceded by: So and so is now “Speaking Out!" What the heck does that mean? They don’t appear with a megaphone in their hand, so it doesn’t have to do with volume. Before now, have they been “speaking IN”? They can’t just say “we’ll be talking to…..”, or “now and interview with….”. Nope they have to be “Speaking out”.End of Rant (for now).


More importantly

I don’t get into local politics (by design), but I have been bemused lately by the “controversy” over the “new” library in Leonardtown. Starting out a (nearly) done deal, a sorely needed expanded facility was planned for construction on land already purchased for the purpose. Anybody who has visited the existing library in the old (1954) armory building can reasonably observe that the place has outgrown its capacity, has no elevators and other ADA issues, is noisy, computers are shoehorned in; visitation is up by 12%, on and on. No doubt the physical case exists for a new one. Now all of a sudden everybody is up in arms because “Hey! it’s NOT in downtown Leonardtown!” (which shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone). To date, as far as I know, nobody has said “well, why don’t you use this hunk of land?”. Just complaints and (IMHO) short sighted budgetary smoke screens. One can deduce my feelings. Anyway, there is an open hearing tonight in the “Commissioners Building” in Leonardtown, and it starts at 6:30. Aside from (hopefully) reasonably discussing the issues, it should be great theater. MFO will be attending solo while I fulfill a social commitment, for which I will be
DFD

No comments: