Friday, December 18, 2009

Wrong, Mr. Wolfe!

You (sometimes) CAN go home again..

Such as yesterday when I re-visited the old home of Hangar 201 to attend the annual “Christmas Pot Luck” luncheon. Yet another chance for grazing. Although not the time for this discussion, not being around the people and the building on a daily basis has been one of the hardest adjustments during “retirement”. I am not sure I am there yet, but as I said, another time. Entering the “trailers” it was just like I never left, although a few people are situated in different desks, the place has not changed much. The happy team in the radio room, the engineers in strip chart lined cubicles, and many had kind words for me. Meant a lot. I have to admit on my way through the hangar I touched an F-18 (carefully and with extensive knowledge of what to touch). But, nostalgia wasn’t why I was there, and I proceeded to the “waterside” of the hangar where the food was laid out, along with several tables for sitting and eating. Again, many familiar faces I was glad to see.

As for the food, it was the usual situation, there were “store bought” main courses in the form of some very plain sandwiches (condiments and flourishes on the side), fried chicken, but most of the other stuff was supplied by the team. I won’t be so foolish as to “rate” anything, and I really didn’t try everything, but there were some very good dishes. Although the originator of the now classic “cheesy potatoes” wasn’t present, I’m pretty sure her recipe was, always glorious in its creamy, cheesy load of calories. Several “hot pot” dishes were in crock pots (I think now more commonly deemed “slow cookers”). I have to start working (harder) on people to put labels on their dishes. Be proud! Let people know what’s in there. You took the time and effort to create it, take credit and describe it. For instance there was a very tasty crock of some very dark stew (?) containing chunks of venison (?) which maybe had molasses. A little sign would help. My mother used to make something called “Beef and Bean Hot Pot”, which I was reminded of by another dish, mostly because they used white lima beans (a much underutilized and under-appreciated ingredient). It had a little kick which I enjoyed very much. If somebody had let us know who created it, I might ask for the recipe. There were salads of all nature and of course the desserts which ranged from complicated to simple. You just can’t beat this time of year for this stuff.

But (you’ve heard this before) just seeing old friends and chatting, being in the trailers again, observing the traditional train set on somebody’s cubicle, looking at the decorations, was the most rewarding. I also have to admit I stuck my head in my old office, and somehow it was immensely satisfying to see that it was exactly the same as it was the day I walked out. Unkempt, messy, old notes and phone numbers still on the white board, piles of “stuff” hastily left behind, a stray pen on the floor, and so on. I could come back, see! Well, maybe not. Leave the memories in the memory locker and don’t mess with them. Mr. Wolfe is right about that part..And of course I did

DFL

Editors Note… we’re leaving on Monday to head for St. Louis for the annual Christmas trek, then up to Wisconsin… yes, Wisconsin. Hopefully, a road report will appear depending on the whims of the technology…

No comments: