Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Comings and ....... Comings


While the research on frying Crassostrea Virginica proceeds, a little more local news and buzz..

Local readers (and those from afar who used to be here) will remember there is a “shopping center” fairly close to the digs called San Souci:




It’s getting to be kind of dated now, probably originating in the 80’s (some reader will correct me) and so has the kind of “strip” layout. In recent years for some reason it has gravitated toward a little restaurant center. I think I counted around a dozen eating places there, mostly independents with only Taco Bell, McDonalds (across the street) and CiCi’s representing a “chain”. Since that time, McDonalds and CiCi’s have closed. For some reason, a lot of the places are “international” in nature, a Japanese Steak House (chop and fling shrimp at you), Indian food, Mexican, and more than one Asian themed place.

In the face of all that, it still astounds me that people still want to open more restaurants in the general area. I think I mentioned that McDonalds old space is slowly getting morphed into a Golden Corral, now sporting a new roof covering the old red McDonalds one.



I guess they will shoot for a market slightly under the growing presence of “Texas” steak places up the road..

But today I saw something that really surprised me. In the little storefront that contains the world’s oldest bowling alley, a NAPA parts store, and the Hertz rent-a-racer facility I saw the following in front of the old (now renovated) “Mark’s” electronics store.




and the sign said (beneath St. Mary's County's favorite phrase):


Why anybody would open yet another Chinese Place (apparently hedged with Sushi and American) right across the road from more amazes me. Somebody’s life savings or a huge loan going into the business that is number one in failing, restaurants. Don’t know much about it yet, will watch.

And speaking of chains, there was a little article in one of the restaurant news services about our friend Olive Garden (part of the Darden empire). The headline was: “Darden Restaurants Inc. said Tuesday its earnings for the second quarter would be lower than previously forecast, partly due to persistent sales trouble at its Italian casual-dining Olive Garden brand”. Awww, too bad. “when you’re here, you’re family and please leave a donation by the door”.


Chili Chatter

Today I spent some time at my old haunt on the base, judging the annual Chili Cook Off held this year to raise funds for cancer treatments for the daughter of one of the teammates. As alert readers will know I continually mention that there are categories of food that are so highly subjective that stupid terms like “best” don’t apply, and maybe “favorite” might be better. For instance although a “winner” was named (Pot Number 2) if you had three different judges, you might get a totally different lineup. So if any contestants happen to stumble across this, thanks for participating, keep making your stuff. There was only one brave soul who entered a white chicken chili. It “did well”. FWIW, shat I kind of look for in chili is: Do you taste chili peppers? Is there a nice mix of ingredients that’s pleasing to the eye (one entry had white and red beans)? Is the consistency appropriate (not just hamburger floating in a brothy fluid)? As far as taste, I personally, just me, a single point, prefer a less spicy concoction that lets the ingredients speak for themselves and not get burned out with heat. After the rest of the people came in with donations for a bowl or two, or three, or… I did notice brows being mopped. Was so nice to see some of my old (well, you know what I mean) colleagues, it’s what I miss most..

One short Traffic Rant

Now that the chili has me slightly hot under the collar, I can’t help but get this off my chest. There has been several “letters to the editors” featured in our local newspaper in response to the reports of more red light cameras being installed. Once again, the populace rises in arms at the intrusion of “government” in their personal lives. “I know they give reasons of safety, but all they want to do is raise money!” Some cite statistics that (allegedly) show rear end collisions skyrocket with the installation of the lights, but mostly they’re ticked about the money... I got news for you pal, you can easily thwart their evil intentions and actually cost them money if you just stop for the damn light. It is not your American right to be able to run red lights if you don’t think you will be held accountable or nobody's looking.

Okay, stuff to do, like read recipes for frying the little bivalves.. Somebody has to do it..

And when we do, we’ll be most certainly

DFO(ysters)

No comments: