Thursday, December 15, 2011

One of Those "Of this and that's"


Yesterday I was going to include a rant over something I saw on the tele, but after describing the Madrigal Dinners, I got all warm and fuzzy and decided to not sully the holiday glow with a rant. Of course today the bile has cooled a bit, but I’ll pass it along anyway. Plus there’s some other foodie news to report..

Rant

I have complained before on how the once newsy “Today” show on NBC has moved toward becoming the National Inquirer of the air. More interviews on weepy people, aunts of axe murderers, attorneys for scum, and so forth rather than any hard news. Well, yesterday morning the LEAD story was that we should stay tuned because they were going to recount the “Thrilling conclusion of the Biggest Loser”. Boy that shook out the cobwebs! How did I miss that? I have stated before that I think that show is the most aptly named show on television. Now, I am in favor of getting fit (God knows I should) and losing weight, but how they turn that into a season long show I don’t know. And we might ask how did those folks get so obese in the first place? Or, has there been any follow-ups to check their weight one year after? Where is Jared?  Apparently the show has a huge following, although I have no idea why. I guess we might rely on H. L. Mencken to help us: “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public”.

Modern Society

Somebody sent me a link to an interesting article called “How Social Media is Ruining your Mind”. Was kind of an interesting read, sort of centered on how the need for “instant” information, multitasking etc. is affecting your intelligence (not positively) some little factoids:

-The current average attention span is 5 seconds; ten years ago it was 12 minutes.
-The average office worker checks email 30 – 40 times per hour.
-People spend 700 Billion (with a B) minutes on Facebook per month.
-500,000 thousand people join Twitter every day.
-Students who gave up social media for 24 hours experienced hearing phantom phone vibrations, repeatedly reaching for a phone that wasn’t there, fidgeting and restlessness.

Oh, excuse me I have to go check my phone…

Foodie

Catamaran’s on the Solomons has closed. The sheriff was pleased as he expects a “ decrease in the number of incidents on the island”. Despite the owner’s laments and statements that he “tried to run the place right”, the head of the Solomon’s Island Civic Association countered that “three stabbings in a bar, something’s not being run right”. But, guess what? That former owner says he is through with the Solomons and is looking to open a place in St. Mary’s County. And, he has his eye on the shuttered Lone Star here in the park. Oh, good.

We had a nice evening with friends at the Front Porch the other night.  we were able to be alone in that "Back Room" that has plush furniture, a little fireplace, and is somewhat removed from the bustle from the bar.  It was very pleasant.  We had to assure the server multiple times that indeed we didn't want to hear the specials and order dinner, we just wanted a quiet drink.  Actually we did have the cheese plate, and a seafood bruschetta which was quite tasty.  That cheese plate is one of the better bargains around.

Word has it that the current author of “Around Town” will be leaving the newspaper. There will be a new person taking over the section that "describes" restaurants in the area. Not to be confused with a review, it does highlight independent places however.. so the Feeder is awaiting, probably in vain…

Rolling along

Well we’re about to descend into the pre-road trip scramble of “where’s the…?”; “I can’t find my….”; “Did we remember to stop the mail?” in preparing for our journey to the Midwest.  Starting to check long range forecasts; What's that noise in the MOMSTER??  did you hear....?  Did I throw in my coat so i could be

DFD





No comments: