Monday, December 3, 2012

A day in the life.. and (finally) goodbye Easton!


Life is funny… perceptive, eh?

When I opened my eyes this morning and after my head cleared some, I thought oh yeah, this is the Monday I had been dreading all weekend.  There is the weekly Rotary club meeting at noon, the auto body place said my lovely car would also be “done” at noon, a spur of the moment telecom related to work was supposed to be at one, and there is a lecture this evening at Historic St. Mary’s City we want to attend.  Now, I know those of you who are still “working” think “this is stupid”, but wait till you retire and your day isn’t filled by work.  Somehow these tasks get to be a bit daunting..

WARNING - RANT SNUCK IN HERE----and on top of it all the stupid Baltimore Ravens threw away a game last night, which for the fans is bad enough, but it threw me out of my suicide pool in which I had advanced farther than I have in a few years.  So I thought picking the Ravens, playing at home favored by 7 points over a recently hapless, Roethilsbergerless team, playing journeyman Charlie Batch was a lock.  That was before it turns out that Joe (I want to be elite) Flacco put stick ‘em on his hands so he could hold the ball so long he was virtually sacked on every play.  And on the defensive side of the ball, they couldn’t stop a Pop Warner team of six year olds..  whew, where was I…

Oh yeah, waking up… so faced with (to me) a busy day I decided to bag the Club meeting, and spent the morning going over the material for the Telecom so I could get Fluttermobile II at noon.  Well, guess what?  A phone call and an email later eliminated any concerns, and only the possible pick up of the car remains (we think it will be done today, sir).  The lecture tonight still is on, so now I have time on my hands and can finally get back to where we last checked in, on the Eastern Shore after Thanksgiving.

flashback

We elected to not eat at the Bartlett Pear until our last night, because it would most likely serve to put the bar so high that it would damage the memories of the other meals (save for Robert Morris who did that on their own).  After returning from the lovely Blackwater drive, we did shop a bit (well, MFO did more than a “bit”) and returned to the room for a quick rest before going down for our 7:30 reservation.  We decided we would have a cocktail in their bar before moving to the dining room, so got there about seven.  Their bar is pleasant and has a few tables within, so one could dine there if you wished.  I had what turned out to be a memorable experience.

We were chatting with the bar person, when from a table of three off the end of the bar, I heard the words “Dry Manhattan”.  They weren’t ordering, they were just talking.  I almost fell off my bar stool.  Despite a glare from MFO I went over and said: “excuse me, I thought I heard you say “Dry Manhattan””;  They had indeed, and what followed was a most gratifying and ego boosting conversation about my favorite drink, the DMOTRWAT.  They also appreciated the drink, and also were introduced by their parents, and had the exact same experience as I run into…  sweet vermouth, or dry vermouth with the cherry, etc.. we strayed a little into discussing “classic” drinks like Old Fashioned, Tom Collins, etc.  How nice.  I returned to the bar, and proudly ordered my DM… to the bartender who overheard the conversation and agreed.  No Froo Froo Chocolatini’s there, just a solid cocktail.. As an aside, they didn’t have Jim Beam (my sort of bourbon of choice) and I had to settle for Woodford Reserve.  They only stocked top shelf liquors, for instance Gin selections were Hendricks (a favorite of one of my loyal readers); Bulldog (?); Tanqueray; and Bombay and Sapphire.  Not too shabby.

We sipped a bit, talked about cocktails some more and were finally ready for the table.  We had the little two top in the bay window, and excellent table overlooking the rose garden and a bit isolated from the rest of the dining space.  In sharp contrast to the previous evening’s meal, service was impeccable.  The servers were in crisp white shirts with a black Bartlett Pear Inn apron, and while at the table the left arm was always behind the back.  No silly speeches, “good evening Mr. and Mrs. Moody are you set for drinks?”  'I’ll leave the menus for you to go over, and I’ll let you decide or answer any questions.'

The menu was digestible (ha ha) with only seven selections of First and six for Main.  No pages and pages of flat breads, multiple salads, and so on.  The origin of the main ingredient was listed for each dish (PEI mussels; Rhode Island Scallops; Stonehouse Farms Pork Belly; Marcho Farms Pan Roasted Veal, etc.).  I won’t go over all the selections, but with full description included,  MFO decided on the “Maine Roasted Lobster Bisque with pan seared lobster cake, Ossau-Iraty Cheese Crostini, Remy Martin Cognac crème fraiche”, and the “Local Wild Striped Bass en Papillote with Turtle Boy Farms Sunchoke Barigoule (a homework exercise), carrot, fennel, lemon preserve”, and I did my always sucker choice of the “Stonehouse Farms “Big Red” pate de champagne with crispy cured pork lardo, lambs, lettuce, caramelized onion aioli, crostini” along with the “Marcho Farms Pan Roasted Veal Loin “Ballotine” Sweetbread-Foie Gras stuffed sweet Vidalia onion; Davidson Farm Maitake Mushrooms, sauce Madiera”.  So it takes a little while (and yes, another DM..AT) to decide.  I, for one, appreciate a full description of the dish I am considering to order.  I don’t care for surprises like a bundle of unexpected asparagus.   In deference to MFO’s fish which could suffer from a heavier red we chose an ’09 Treana Viognier Marsanne blend from Paso Robles. 

As this is getting long, all I will say is that the meal was wonderfully prepared, presented, and served perfectly.  MFO’s fish was prepared (removing the “papillote”) tableside and plated there.  No runs of sauce all over the place, no misplaced item, and each one of the other items on the plate would stand on their own, they weren’t there for show.  I suspect I said the same thing about dishes at the “other” Inn, the one in Little Washington. All in all, it was a delightful meal followed by a cheese course (including Humboldt Fog and Morbiere) and I splurged on a glass of Fonseca Port.  We were both glad we only had to negotiate the stairs to get to our room.  Oh, I didn’t include any pictures from dinner, there are times when the camera should stay in the pocket..

Believe it or not, we were able to eat breakfast the next morning before departure, the daily  selection being Eggs Benedict.

 

House cured bacon; farm fresh eggs (yolks a deep orange instead of insipid yellow) perfectly poached in water; Hollandaise freshly made; with a sprinkling of shallot and herbs; on more of that brioche bread.  Sigh…

 

After that, we loaded up the MOMSTER and reluctantly headed back to Southern Maryland after a great weekend.  I highly recommend Easton as a getaway weekend, and if you don’t want to enjoy Bartlett Pear, there are several other good dining options for you.  Not better, but good.

A return trip over the bridge


And so here are (over a week later!) still basking in the memories…needless to say we were always


DFD

No comments: